Need to buy a new printer - what is best for refilling?

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Results of my un-scientific test of smearing:
I did tests on three printed pages using duplex printing -
1. ip4000 in automatic duplex mode
2. ip4000 using manual duplex mode - print one side and turn page over to print second side
3. ip6000D in automatic duplex mode

After the pages had printed and dried for a period of time I did an ink smear test. First took a wet paper towel and rubbed the printed page. Then I actually soaked the page under a running faucet. Results:

1. ip4000 in automatic duplex - print was lighter than ip4000 in manual duplex - after the smear/drench test and letting the paper dry, the text is very readable, but there is a light blue/green tinge on the paper where it was wet and some bleed thru. So there must be dye based ink mixed in. There may be some pigment ink also, because the print is still crisp and readable - see results for ip6000D in 3.

2. ip4000 in manual duplex - after the page dried the print was basically unchanged - very crisp and readable with no ink tinge and no/very little bleed thru. Looks like this is all pigment.

3. ip6000D in automatic duplex - print as dark as ip4000 in manual duplex - after the paper dried the print was smeared. The ink soaked into the paper. The rear side print bled thru - still readable but the bleed thru was very noticeable. Actually the smearing here was less than I expected. I think I expected to see the print wash off or really mix together. As stated yesterday, both printers have Hobbicolors inks

fotofreek,
In the print time numbers I posted last night, the dry time before pulling the paper back in for reverse side printing was essentially the same for both printers. The page print time is much slower with the ip6000D. The ip6000D took 30 sec to print the front side, while the ip4000 (automatic duplex) took 20 sec to print - same text pages in all tests.
I looked at the printed pages under a hand size magnifying glass, but didn't see any colored dots. Maybe not enough magnification. Need to see if I can find my son's microscope. It is stored away somewhere. Hope this is of some value.

Steve W.

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
In terms of printers-- its hard to beat refilling the older un-chiped Canon printers-- I now have 5 i960 printers that take BCI-6 carts and one ip3000 that takes the same. However, I gave up refilling this year because it wasn't worth my time just to save $1.50 a cart- now that I've tested the G&G carts and found the colors nearly as accurate as MIS ink its much more convenient. Details on my pages.

Bear in mind, that the pre-filled carts don't have the light-fastness of good bulk ink or Canon, but for most projects besides archival photos, this is a non issue. I've had G&G prints on my walls and refrigerators for a very long time in bright rooms and have seen no fading. Again, check my web page for lots of details regarding light fastness.

The newest Canon printers have newer carts than the BCI-6-- my guess, thought I don't know this for fact-- is that the ink and delivery of ink is exactly the same mechanical process as these-- but the new carts light up--- oh boy, just what we need-- irrelevant technology. I would suspect you could fill these carts with exactly the same bulk ink as what is used for BCI-6 carts-- and eventually I'll test this out as I now have a ip4200 at my disposal and we can test this out soon. It would suprise me greatly if Canon actually changed their ink formula for the new series of printers.

As for inexpensive pre-filled carts for series 8 (CLI-8) cartridge Canon printers (like the ip4200 and other new ones)-- G&G has announced that they will be making carts available for these printers this summer-- good news, since my tests show them to be the best aftermarket pre-filled carts that I tested out of 7 brands.

See http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inktest.html

Again, I do not suggest the 8 color printers-- 6 is more the sufficient to get really great prints. 2 more colors is that much more headache, and certainly just a marketing ploy by Canon to sell more ink. This is like gillete making 3 blade razors, than 4 blade, now believe it or not, 5 blade razors. Come on, give me a break.

:)

LelandHendrix

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I completely feel your sentiments, but the carts don't really light up. I think the printer is shining a red LED into them. Kinda silly, but its only to show you which one needs changed when you open it up. My ip6600 doesn't really open wide enough to see the cartridge name/color so that may be the point.

Canon's technical white papers shows a difference in the formulations of CLI8 vs BCI6 inks. My experience between the i900 and the iP6600 shows there is a difference in durability. A very real one in smudge and water resistance.

Dave at Hobbicolors describes a distinct difference in ink surface tension as well.

Just thought I'd add that info, in case a nuisance my result in placing BCI ink in a CLI printer. It might take great work to flush out.