Need printer recommendation

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Assuming I can't buy another MX850, what printers do you recommend?
I would like network compatibility (doesn't have to be wireless). I would like to be able to refill (I already have a resetter I use with the MX850). I DOESN'T have to be a multi-function even though I wouldn't mind it. I don't really print photos. What says the tribe? :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
All the newer Canon printers are getting a bitch to refill easy, but the Pro 100, Pro 10 and Pro 9500 still have everything going for them, inks resetters and easy fill OEM carts, take you pick..

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Wow, those Pro printers are expensive. Thanks for the suggestions though.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Wow, those Pro printers are expensive. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Not when you’re in the US, you can pick one up for as little as $50, just watch for the discounts coming up shortly... :eek:

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Where are you talking about? Because on ebay they are pretty high.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It looks like Canon makes these 50 $ offers once or twice a year in the US. See this. But the Pro 100 is a dedicated A3 photo printer, meaning that it is big and heavy, and it lacks the pigment black ink used for plain paper documents. A4 or Letter size plain paper documents can be printed using dye black, but this is not optimal. The Pro 100 is not an ideal office printer or all-rounder.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I use an i9950 which is the Grand father of the Pro 100 and the lack of pigment ink was never a problem for me, ok you couldn’t use it on envelopes in case the address might run.

It’s a very small price to pay for such a great printer.. :D

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So what would you recommend as a good all around printer?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
From a Photo Printing standpoint,

At this time, in the Canon line, the Pro-100 and Pro-10 ends up as the refiller's choice especially with the rebates in the USA. No other printer allows the flexibility and full control like these two printers from a refiller's standpoint. The key takeaway is the availability of a resetter and resetter friendly chips and the known aspects of the Canon cartridges. That the Pro-100 also possesses massive IQ capability cannot be ignored as well. I reckon this printer will fill the role of the legendary Canon AE1 and A1 film cameras in the 70s. ..

I use an i9950 which is the Grand father of the Pro 100 and the lack of pigment ink was never a problem for me, ok you couldn’t use it on envelopes in case the address might run.

It’s a very small price to pay for such a great printer.. :D

Just use some clear shipping tape and cover the address. It makes it waterproof, much tougher and scratch resistant and the clear layer makes it more legible as well.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
So what would you recommend as a good all around printer?

The market has been segregated finer today. True good photo printers are now built pretty much the way we know them, the non flexing chassis, stainless steel carriage guide and rear paper feed. At the moment, the only true photo printers are 13" in width.

The all around printers are letter size and sport bottom paper feed or single sheet rear feed. They are now built lighter with less sturdy construction. Canon has some lower cost stripped single function but when one considers their cost versus the highly promoted Pro-100, clearly a step up to the Pro-100 would be recommended.

For the home and light use.
If you need to print occasional photos, stick with the Canon line with their separate ink tanks and hurry before the stocks using the 250/251 carts run out. The replacement chips may take a while 270/271. The Epson Expression series has a lot of NOT nice to the refiller or even after market user. So take note. Note paper feed options on these models.

If all you need is an office type printer to match something like what a laser would do with higher volume capbility, there are models to consider from both Epson and Canon. The Epson WF3620 and WF3620 are fine office printers they stand off against the Maxify series from Canon. Both use pigment ink so they are a little more costly to operate but where they differ will depend on what you want to use them for. The Canon is faster, produces higher print quality and comes with larger capacity carts. There is a quirk with these machines in that cartridge changeout is cumbersome. The Epson is more conventional and is a tad slower and has a user replaceable waste ink tank and its print quality is acceptable. The maxify will produce acceptable photos much faster than the 3640 could ever hope to.
Both are high volume machines. Both the Epson and Canon bring office volume capabilities at relatively low cost. Both these machines do not have user replaceable printheads.