Need Opinion

Manafont

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L565
Hi, sorry if I post this in the wrong subforum, this one seems the most fitting for my question.

My current printer recently broke and pretty much unrepairable (the repair cost going to cost almost as much as buying a new one), so I've been reading around & searching and I think I found 2 printers that I'm interested in.

Problem is.... each is from different brands. And I never used either brand before (Current one is Epson), which therefore makes me blind about their usual pros and cons. So I hope that the good peoples in this forum can help me make a decision on which one to buy. The 2 printers of my interest is Canon G4010 & Brother DCP-T720DW, they are both Ink-Tank type. The Canon one uses Pigment for their Black Ink, the Brother one is Dye based (I never self-print in pigment before, so I don't know about it much, at least not when it comes to home/office printers).

I'd buy another Epson but their current lineup doesn't really interest me, and kinda got tired of a print head that has the pcb embedded inside it, making manual flushing/deep cleaning kinda troublesome. And their recent lineup can't print borderless on big sized paper like A4/F4 I think, well, atleast not for my budget anyway. It always annoyed me that I have to recalculate my design size when Im about to print it to make some sorta mock-up.

I mainly print colored pages of a design on either plain paper or glossy/matte paper in order to show people who asks me to design something, nothing too fancy, just to show what it'll generally be like once printed/made (since I'm dealing usually with older people and most often they don't understand that different type and quality of smartphone screen, as well as their phone color & brigthness setting can have a very huge impact on what the design's color will look like when they view it).
example : Printing then makes a mock-up of a coaster, so they can see / imagine the real finished product better.

Other than that then it's scanning/copying/printing documents that me or my family needs, which comes most often in A4 or F4, but sometimes in Legal size.

And additional infos that may help you give me a better opinion :
- The last time I use a fax machine is probably around 10 years ago (Yeah, I know the G4010 has a fax feature, no other model with copy/scan function that can take Legal size)
- I can do simple to somewhat-advanced repair by myself. Like, as long its not a risky thing, or needing to do very sophisticated teardown, I can replace something in the machine myself.
- I live in quite dusty country (dunno if it's detrimental or not when dusty paper enter the printer), so closed paper tray is a good thing I guess, but not really crucial.

Hopefully the dwellers of this forum can help me make a decision. Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Other than that then it's scanning/copying/printing documents that me or my family needs, which comes most often in A4 or F4, but sometimes in Legal size.
You got my attention with the paper F4 size !, because I’ve never heard of that size paper before, obviously its only used in the US and a rollover from inches..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
1618000394063.png

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Paper_size#/F4

Awesome history in the second image!

1618000478576.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foolscap_folio

Manafont

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L565
You got my attention with the paper F4 size !, because I’ve never heard of that size paper before, obviously its only used in the US and a rollover from inches..
Well, used quite a lot in my country too (Indonesia), or atleast by my family, due to more length but less wider than using Legal size. Easier to find small cheap home printer that can print on it, I guess.