Need help with my Epson SP 1400

N.A.SUKI

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
HellO

I have been using the A3 Epson SP 1400 for half a year now with a CIS system and have made some beautiful printouts, at first the prints came out amazing, but now my printer has stopped working and keeps showing paper jam problem and doesnt print, there's nothing wrong with the paper feeder , the problem is when i go to print, the printer does its cycles getting ready to print, then feeds paper through and sets it up, then the paper jam and power lights start flashing at the same time and doesnt start the process of printing and says "Paper jam /cd tray jam", I've tried reading tons of forums and trying things like cleaning rubber paper feeder wheel, checking foreign objects and have even set up a waste ink tank and tried resetting the printer, but still nothing:/.....would be so grateful if somebody can help me with this.
Thank You so much in advance if someone can offer me any help.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Can you look if there is a tiny piece of paper stucking the paper feeder ? Often a small -almost invisible- piece of paper can cause these horrible problems. Can I ask which type of ink you are using: dye (transparant) or pigment (opaque/milky) ink ?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Usually a key indicator of where/what is causing the jam is to look for any indications of where the jam focus is.

If there's a single point, the folds of the jam tend to point to it so it's well worth trying to "read" the folds and paper crumpling to help nail down the problem area and then examine it carefully.

You may also have the paper rising up slightly due to some object in the paper path and this can lift the paper above the slot it would normally exit through and cause the same sort of pile up. So it's worth looking in the area that the paper passes over too.

N.A.SUKI

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello

Thanks so much for peoples replies.

This is what gets me really stumped :/ the paper goes thru without any crumpling, pile up or indications what so ever, but still the paper jam message comes up. I have spent hours looking and cleaning all round the paper feeding path, but no difference.

The ink I use for my CIS is transparent, It should be Dye ink, I changed supplier and had problems with colors fading, but it was working fine for a while with the inks I have, but I'm really wanting to try a another ink supplier as I think I was given some low quality ink but not sure, want to get the printer working before i buy more ink I feel.

I have had two people suggest I look for the paper going "over" and not under when feeding through, I have checked so much and can't see anything wrong, there is alot of casing and rollers so it is hard to see where the paper feeds in, what exactly am I looking for & is there anything else people can suggest?

Thanks again!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
That strikes me as a sensor jam rather than a paper one..

To figure it out you're going to need a service manual and a lot of mechanical ability to suss out where the sensor is and what could be causing it to give a false reading. Sorry I couldn't be much more help on this one.

N.A.SUKI

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello

I see.... does sound like it could be something like that.
Do you know where I can find a copy of the service manual, is this different than the user manual?

will try see what I can do.

Thanks.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It's a sensor problem and many printers are afflicted by that.

N.A.SUKI

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Do people have any suggestions what I can do for such a problem?

I have made a few mods with the CIS & waste ink tank so don't think it will be covered with the warranty.

:/ thinking just getting out ye old trusted hammer....

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I've tried repairing that sensor before. Even with a manual, it's difficult to reach. The feeder assembly removal has always given me problems.
Good luck.