Need help with color adjustment/ink

Kefp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
TS9020, Pro100
I have MP780 and a new IP4500.
The IP4500 still has the original canon ink. The MP780 is refilled with ink from inksupply.com.
Paper used are Kirkland and Ilford papers from Costco. Printing software is normally Canon EasyPhotoprint. I like to print 4 snapshots on an 8x11. My camera is Canon SD750.

I love the color output of the MP780/inksupply.com for daylight pictures as compared to the OEM canon. The color is vivid and a little more intense with the non-canon ink. However with indoor shots with flash, the color is quite off with the inksupply.com ink. It's more purple, the skin tone is reddish. The EOM ink, on the otherhand, is true to life.

Do you experience this? Is there an easy way to correct this, apart from manually adjust each photo? Are there other ink that is better?

Thanks

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
It sounds like the "White balance" on your camera may be set to a fixed lighting condition (daylight/flash/tungsten/fluorescent/etc.). Most people just leave this to setting on "Auto" unless they have experience in this area. It is also possible that your camera's "Auto White Balance" (if that's where your camera is already set) doesn't work well in your situation. Auto white balance is great when it works, which isn't always the case.

It is also not uncommon for different ink sets to give different colors.

Kefp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
TS9020, Pro100
Thank you the response.

For flash, I set it on manual. Perhaps I should put it back on auto.

Regarding the ink, i do notice that this brand of ink is on an intense side with magenta with a number of brands of paper, including the 2 I mentioned in the last post. Even with daylight pictures, people faces looked sunburnt.

Any other recommended ink?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
The Canon website lists these white balance options for your camera:
Auto, Preset (Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H), Custom

I don't see a white balance setting for "flash", nor do I see a "manual" setting. In any case, try using the same "Auto" setting that you use outdoors and see what happens.

I don't know of any 3rd party ink that exactly matches Canon's ink in all colors. This link shows how several ink sets match up (colorwise), allowing you to draw your own conclusions. To get good colors from a 3rd party ink set, plan on getting a custom printer profile for your printer/ink/paper combination.

Kefp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
TS9020, Pro100
Again, thank you Grandad35. I will read the links you provided. A quick glance at them looks like it's heavy duty reading.

A custom printer profile seems like the way to go.