Need help to buy digital printer to setup magazine

Lalremruata

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a small monthly magazine with a circulation of 6000 (minimum) copies having 52 pages including cover pages. It a magazine narrow size (8.125x10.875 inch).

I want to include some 4-8 color pages in each issue.

I want to have my own digital printing press so that i can work by myself. I hate relying on others because there is always some problem like price hike, slow work etc.

Can anyone suggest me a digital printer (4 or 6 color) that the ink (cartridge/toner) can be easily replace or refilled so as to avoid buying new cartridge every now and then. 'Cos, new branded cartridge/toner cost a lot for heavy duty and for future consumption.

My budget (expectation) is Rs. 5 lacs (11,159.48 USD) only.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Lalremruata
There is no one easy answer to your question.
You would need half dozen inkjet printers to do that amount of work a month and even then they would need replacing fairly regularly.
The other way to go would be to get a mono laser printer and an inkjet printer just for your colour pages.
The third option is to use a local printer rather than a high street print shop; youd be able to negotiate a better price from them.
If it were me, I go for the second option.. :)

Lalremruata

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I want to have a digital laser printer. Any more suggestion please?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Lalremruata

There are companies out there like Oki who will sell you a Digital colour laser with free ink and free maintenance for the life.
The snag is you have to pay a click charge of around 1 cent for B&W or 5 cent Colour for each sheet that you printout.
I am sure that Canon, HP and Xerox would be doing a similar offer with slightly different strings attached.
Log on to each of their websites and check out which package would suit you best.. ;)