Need advice starting a tshirt printing business

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I know this isn't the right place to ask about tshirt printing...
I'm considering starting a business for this

Anyone know where to go to get advice?
Youtube have excellent videos - but one too many want you to subscribe to a paid website to be given 'all' the secrets

Just looking for some pointers

Thanks

OM

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
aaah... ok
i did research dtg - but that's out of my league for the moment
just want to make a start with conventional printing and heat transfer
wanted some guidance of how to move from the home iron on transfer to the next level

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
o.k., that's the heat transfer technique, you need sublimation inks, the transfer foils and a heat press, that should all be available from several suppliers in your country for various sizes of prints, sublimation inks can typically be used in Epson printers via a CISS or refill for larger format printers like the Pro 3880 etc. The transfer foils are typically available as transparent for whie fabrics or with a white background for dark fabrics, and you need the t-shirts with a suitable fibre mix containing polyester fibres because they take the transfer colors

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
i called a supplier of hardware to do tshirt printing
they told me that sublimination is for acrylic material only - not cotton

they said u needed a laser printer
the things is: not all laser printers can take the thick paper
he told me that they sell oki printers that can take the printer
the thing is, they sell white colour toners - i don't understand that - i can't find anywhere else where i can get white toner

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm not going to argue with somebody I don' know but please consult various sources describing the sublimation transfer process - those sublimation inks need a fiber or surface containing polyester, that can be a fiber mix of cotton/polyester for t-shirts, there are other techniques to get the color onto
t-shirts -e.g. direct print - DTG, and other techniques transferring preprinted foils onto the garment , but that's not a sublimation process. Acryl is out with the sublimation transfer process

http://www.dyetrans.com/what-is-sublimation.php

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@OM2 if you use cotton material then the colour will wash off almost immediately, so polyester is the most suitable and correct material to use.

You only get the best unbiased advice here because we are not trying to sell you something and it’s free.. :D

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys

it has to be cotton :)
others print on cotton and if u know 'how' to print and use the right equipment, the print lasts - similar to buying from a shop

i've been spending time doing research today... and have many answers :)

- need a good heat press - u get what u pay for - seen this mentioned in many many places
- need the right paper. i spoke to the guys at stahl.com. they've got some brilliant videos on utube
- laser or inkjet

with laser, u can print and then transfer ONLY what u print
with inkjet, u have to cut out and then press
laser printers: u need ones that can take very very thick paper - 98% of printers won't work

if i can print and get something that is still good after 100 washes, i'm happy

still need to do more research. but i'm on a mission to get my tshirt printing business started

brushyourideas

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
web to print
I know this isn't the right place to ask about tshirt printing...
I'm considering starting a business for this

Anyone know where to go to get advice?
Youtube have excellent videos - but one too many want you to subscribe to a paid website to be given 'all' the secrets

Just looking for some pointers

Thanks

OM
Conventional printing comes up with front-end costs, so the cost might be higher if you have a lower volume. You should consider it only if you plan to print high volumes. Also, conventional printing provides one plate for each ink color and is suitable for one or two colors or exact matches. To use four-color CMYK printing, digital printers would be a better option.

Choose offset printing only if you have sufficient time. If you want prints fast, digital printing is the go-to solution.

Hypnoandy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3800
Hi
It depends in the type of shirts you want to make. I started about 2 years ago

For logo type graphics and text you can use htv - vinyl applied with a heat presse after being cut with cricut/ vinyl plotter

Sublimation - can reproduce complex pictures and images. Fairly cheap to set up but needs to be a high mix - 60% plus in my opinion of polyester in the garment and works best on white shirts

Transfers - vary in quality fir print and longevity. They affect the feel and stretch if the garment. I used to use them but thinking back my shorts weren't always great quality (being honest!) But I sold enough to afford a used dtg

Dtg or direct to garment printing gives great results. Mine was used and cost £3000 just over a year ago. Takes work to get to keep it working but I and my customers love the results. Need to use the machine every couple of days as a minimum

Dtf direct to film, prints special fabric inks onto a plastic film this then has glue powder spread over the wet ink, heat cured and then works like a high end transfer. Just starting this myself as an adjunct to dtg

I love doing the shirts when it's going well and the machines are performing. When they're not and you have orders stacking up...

I've learnt a hell of a lot and happy to share

Latest posts