Need advice on continuous inkjet printing (minimal cleaning cycle)

nickthompson

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi inkjet pros!

We are a small company involved in the events business. We provide systems that allow people to have name badges printed when they arrive at an event.

Traditionally the industry uses thermal transfer printers to do this. One hitch - they don't do colour, which more and more of our clients are asking for, and in low quantities where it's not economical to pre-print rolls of card. Even if it was economical, they often need colour printed onsite so we can visually distinguish between delegates, speakers and VIPs by means of a coloured strip.

So, a while back we bought a few Canon IP4500 printers. The print quality is good, they print fast, but they have one major snag - they go into a cleaning/calibration cycle pretty much when you least want them to, meaning you sometimes have to wait up to 30 seconds before you can print the next badge. Not good when you've got someone standing there waiting for their badge!

I'd love to find a printer that doesn't have this snag, or which at least has an infrequent or very short cleaning cycle. None of the brochures tell me about this though, so I guess the only way I can find out is to try out every printer or ask the experts!

Can anyone suggest a model? I was looking at the Epson Workforce range as a possible, but again there's nothing about this in the PDFs.

Many thanks

Nick

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
nickthompson
All printers do their washing and cleaning in full public view with no exceptions.
You didnt say whether you had ARC chips installed or you disabled the ink monitoring.

ARC chips do less cleaning than no ink monitoring does but theres not much in it 60 /40.
The best answer I can give you is to have two iP4500 printers that way one would always be ready to print
regardless of what the other is doing about its personal hygiene.

The printer tend to clean its self regularly so it will always be able to give you the best prints
when you need them so have patients or simply get two.. :)