My way for flushing cartridges Top fill or German Fill.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
I don't know whether it's a good idea to flush the cartridge backwards with that kind of pressure. I would worry that you may dislodge the sponge and move it away from the outlet.

Also, you don't need to drill holes in the cartridge to do this. You can move a lot of water through the vent without making any holes in the cartridge. I recommend just attaching a syringe to the outlet and sucking distilled water through the vent. You can attach a short piece of tubing to the outlet and fit that to a 60-ml syringe. I used three short pieces of tubing shoved inside each other. It's very easy to make, and it works fine.

I use only the minimum water pressure required to get a good steady stream of water out of the top hole. With this setup I can walk away while cart is flushing. When done I blow into the vent and the ball hole to expel the water and if the sponge did get moved the air pressure applied at the vent or the ball hole will probably force the sponge back into position. Also the last cart I cut open showed a pattern on the top of the sponge indicating it was under some pressure holding the sponge in place so I doubt it will move from the flushing pressure. I am considering trying to flush without removing the ball. Just using the vent the German fill hole to allow the flushed water to exit. Stay tuned. That's my story and Im stickin to it!!

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I don't know about your cartridges, but sponges sometimes can and do move. Some months ago I posted a couple of radiographs that show this clearly. I agree that it's important to use gentle pressure.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
I don't know about your cartridges, but sponges sometimes can and do move. Some months ago I posted a couple of radiographs that show this clearly. I agree that it's important to use gentle pressure.
Can you lead me to those radiographs. Id like to see them. Sounds interesting.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Very interesting.
I also like the idea of making a centrifuge by using a stocking and whirling it around with the cart in it.
This might be a good idea for carts that have been flushed just to make sure the sponges are in full contact with each other. I think whirling them around just before you finish wicking them with a paper towel might be just the right thing. Now that I think about it you might even be able to remove enough of the water or conditioner to just go ahead and start refilling the cart.??? I think I might just weigh one before and after to see how much water I can get out. If that works then maybe building a small centrifuge might be worth it.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
We have a busted salad spinner at home that is now begging to be converted so it seems I have a project to work on with my son :)

... all without needing to consider a divorce too.. Bonus!
Hmmmm now u got me thinkin!!!!
622, member: 638"]We have a busted salad spinner at home that is now begging to be converted so it seems I have a project to work on with my son :)

... all without needing to consider a divorce too.. Bonus![/QUOTE]
Hmmmm now u got me thinkin

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
We have a busted salad spinner at home that is now begging to be converted so it seems I have a project to work on with my son :)

... all without needing to consider a divorce too.. Bonus!
Please post some photos, if you successfully convert it into a cartridge centrifuge. BTW what is the inner diameter or radius and the rotational speed of the salad spinner?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Please post some photos, if you successfully convert it into a cartridge centrifuge. BTW what is the inner diameter or radius and the rotational speed of the salad spinner?
I will if I get a chance... no idea on the speed as it's a hand crank but I'll provide diameter, cog measurements, etc.. so someone with the know how can figure it out.