My Solar Power Journey

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
...and you did it in shorts and flip-flops!
I may have been stupid back then, and I've got the stories to prove it, but I wasn't an idiot. :lol:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Legionary Past
Hey, I'm not that old.

122360-10831-pristine.jpg

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Of course this is all about daylight, but what about the rest of the hours when there’s little or no light, have you ever taught about wind generation instead as an upgrade ?, wind power is better because it’s running nearly 24/365 (Where I live beside the sea).
Not much wind where I am, and I don't even know if I can legally have a turbine. Fortunately we have "net metering" so they utility pays me when I overproduce during the day, and I can buy-back at night, so no need for batteries, etc.

I’d love Solar panels but the installation costs here are so Huge , by the time you’d get anywhere near to breaking even
I broke even on my last install about 2 years ago, and I should break even on this new update in about 7-8 years.
IMO, you REALLY don't want large storage batteries of any chemistry on your property. They are expensive to purchase, are a considerable hazard, and currently don't have sufficient lifetime. If you do go the storage route, DON'T place them inside your home.
I'm not too worried about the hazards, especially with proven tech like the Tesla Powerwall, etc. That said, ya, way too expensive, and I don't really need the emergency backup, even in California where they have been shutting off power during days in the summer for some people.

MichaelDargan

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro1 Epson 730 & SCP600
We have a 6KW system with SMA inverter limited to 5Kw due to government regulations here (Sunshine Coast {good place for a solar panel, eh}) and it’s the best thing we ever installed. No power bill for 6 years. Have been deliberating about battery system but agree they are too expensive here to be an economic proposition. Didn’t have the micro inverters option when I installed mine but have REC panels which have proved quite efficient. Technology progress has been noticeable in this area. The wind option mentioned is an intriguing path to explore as an add on system.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
We have a 6KW system with SMA inverter limited to 5Kw
Wow, that covers your entire usage? Very impressive!

So, are you not able to utilize the full 6KW, or do they never peak out above what your inverter can support?

limited to 5Kw due to government regulations here
The government limits the total amount of solar you can have!?!? Why are they doing that?