My poor Epson Pro Stylus 7600....

jennzilla

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson pro stylus 7600
...so while I was oblivious Epson apparently discontinued the ink for my 15+ years-without-a-hitch printer... I have looked for ink online but no joy for cyan. I know there are substitutes but I don't begin to know what to look for. Or even if its worth the effort since I'm not looking to sell my prints at crap quality to people; that's just crude. So I'm hoping for suggestions from anyone in the know with regard to a decent ink substitute or give up....thanks in advance!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Where are you located ? Did you ever tried refill ? You mention substitutes - did you ever try them or what are you afraid of ?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
If you're sold on using OEM inks then the best option available to you would be to find a suitable refillable cartridge with compatible chips and/or chip resetter then identify what generation of inks and printers came after that model and look at ink harvesting to refill your refillable cartridges with that.

You would need to get profiling done for the new ink for each of your papers, to resolve the changes in colour that would result but you would still be using OEM inks and actually end up benefitting from the improvements that came with them.

Refilling doesn't always rely on sub-standard inks so worth taking what you need from it.

jennzilla

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson pro stylus 7600
Where are you located ? Did you ever tried refill ? You mention substitutes - did you ever try them or what are you afraid of ?
I'm in Virginia and no, I have never tried refills or subs (there hadn't been a need before) and my fear is my ignorance about these things is gonna lead to wasted money or very poor quality prints. I have absolutely no idea where to start, also I have a concern that the epson may try to brick because I am not using the proprietary ink...so I'm just trying to come to some kinda grips.

jennzilla

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson pro stylus 7600
If you're sold on using OEM inks then the best option available to you would be to find a suitable refillable cartridge with compatible chips and/or chip resetter then identify what generation of inks and printers came after that model and look at ink harvesting to refill your refillable cartridges with that.

You would need to get profiling done for the new ink for each of your papers, to resolve the changes in colour that would result but you would still be using OEM inks and actually end up benefitting from the improvements that came with them.

Refilling doesn't always rely on sub-standard inks so worth taking what you need from it.
I'm sorry to ask but OEM I'm assuming is like aftermarket inks..? I have looked on amazon and come across some ink that says its compatible but it's more expensive than the real deal was and I need to get chips and a kind of tool which I presume is a resetter(?) of some kind, it doesn't identify whether they are dye based or pigment so Im looking at a whoooole lot of I don't know what the heck I'm getting into and the likelihood I will waste a chunk of money trying to make it work. when you get aftermarkets do the tell you what the profiles should be ? I'm reassured at least that you mention that the quality may be an improvement.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The Pro 7600 could run on with dye or pigment inks - Epson supplied both, and you had to set the firmware of the printer to either mode at the time of printer setup - for forever - almost - there is apparently a way via the maintenance menu to change the mode later during operation. But the vast majority of printers were and are running in the pigment ink mode.
I'm located in Germany and I checked the supply status for Pro7600 cartridges, there is no shortage, not at all, there are about 40 - 50 different vendors which have Pro 7600 cartridges listed. Not all of them may have all colors of both cartridge sizes available for immediate shipment, but you just would pick another supplier in that case. I don't have a view on the supply status in your country; I don't know if Epson is running an online store for ink supplies or you have certified dealers etc.

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Hi Jenn,

Ok... I'm going to go into go-slow mode here as I'm reading a fair amount of anxiety in your posts akin to my mother when technology is involved and she's panicking that the Sunday roast won't be done for Christmas and my rooms a mess and... argggggghhhh!
:barnie

So, aside from hopefully getting a smile :)and recognising the need for a deep breath here goes...
Although you may be thinking more along these lines: :somad:rant :smack

Either way... :fl

1. Recommend you look at your orders for cartridges in the past and identify where you purchased them, what the cartridge label says (exactly) and all identifying characteristics.

2. Can you indicate where you heard that the Pro 7600 is no longer supported by OEM consumables.
(OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer btw... ie: they're genuine, made by Epson)

With the information from those two points we can probably determine which type of ink you've been using, whether there's genuinely a dearth of OEM supplies and how best to help move you forward...

If of course I've now mortally offended you back 15 generations and subsequently appear on a hit list rest assured my wife understands and will render the appropriate retribution
:hide

Jerry28

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro 7880 / 24"
...so while I was oblivious Epson apparently discontinued the ink for my 15+ years-without-a-hitch printer... I have looked for ink online but no joy for cyan. I know there are substitutes but I don't begin to know what to look for. Or even if its worth the effort since I'm not looking to sell my prints at crap quality to people; that's just crude. So I'm hoping for suggestions from anyone in the know with regard to a decent ink substitute or give up....thanks in advance!
Try Jon Con's Color Ink and refill cartridges at www.inkjetmall.com, should do just fine !

jennzilla

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson pro stylus 7600
Hi Jenn,

Ok... I'm going to go into go-slow mode here as I'm reading a fair amount of anxiety in your posts akin to my mother when technology is involved and she's panicking that the Sunday roast won't be done for Christmas and my rooms a mess and... argggggghhhh!
:barnie

So, aside from hopefully getting a smile :)and recognising the need for a deep breath here goes...
Although you may be thinking more along these lines: :somad:rant :smack

Either way... :fl

1. Recommend you look at your orders for cartridges in the past and identify where you purchased them, what the cartridge label says (exactly) and all identifying characteristics.

2. Can you indicate where you heard that the Pro 7600 is no longer supported by OEM consumables.
(OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer btw... ie: they're genuine, made by Epson)

With the information from those two points we can probably determine which type of ink you've been using, whether there's genuinely a dearth of OEM supplies and how best to help move you forward...

If of course I've now mortally offended you back 15 generations and subsequently appear on a hit list rest assured my wife understands and will render the appropriate retribution
:hide
I'm using the (pigment, not dye) UltraChrome ink and the supplier told me when I went to reorder that they were no longer being made by epson... when I called epson to verify they agreed that was the case and then said they had none, he shifted me over to the warehouse to see if they had any and those folks said they had matte black and that was it. I do remember setting it to ultrachrome when I first set it up, and that was supposed to be for life...? And I'm not offended lol I'm here for help!! Thank you!