My Pixma Direct-CD Printing Site, and Where To Get Trays

LinkinParkIM14

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
First i'm half-way done with a site with all the information to do with direct cd-printing. You can find it at http://pixma.theupgradeguy.biz (one advantage over the other sites is there are no ads). Second I have 9 official Canon CD Trays that will be coming in, in 4 weeks. If anyone wants one, you can bid on them at ebay. If you seatch on EBAY for Canon CD Tray you will find them, along with some from other sellers.

Feedback would be helpful. I've thrown the site together in 1 day, and am still working on it. But it's also for the buyer's of the CD-Tray so that they know how to modify their printer.

LinkinParkIM14

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I put 9 CD-tray kits for 25 dollars. It includes the mini-cd adpater, software on cd, instruction booklet, the whole shabang :p. But yeah, i'm not trying to make a killing off of these, i just want to get what i ordered them for and make a little for my troubles. (They are a big pain to get ahold of). But they DO NOT cost 50 dollars, that is for sure.

zakezuke

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
LinkinParkIM14 said:
First i'm half-way done with a site with all the information to do with direct cd-printing. You can find it at http://pixma.theupgradeguy.biz (one advantage over the other sites is there are no ads). Second I have 9 official Canon CD Trays that will be coming in, in 4 weeks. If anyone wants one, you can bid on them at ebay. If you seatch on EBAY for Canon CD Tray you will find them, along with some from other sellers.

Feedback would be helpful. I've thrown the site together in 1 day, and am still working on it. But it's also for the buyer's of the CD-Tray so that they know how to modify their printer.
Yea, I half way thought about getting real hosting for mine... http://pixma-faq.cjb.com but I didn't think it was really worth it. spawning a new window nixes the advert. Space is an issue for the images but most don't need to be high quality anyway. I should probally re-design mine, I sort of slapped mine together in a couple of days, offer a pdf, that sort of thing. Writing isn't my strong suit, collecting information is.

I appricate the credit. rjwaldren should get one for figuring out the mp7x0 series. I would have gotten it but I misunderstood that you needed paper to do the CD-R alignment. Also I presently don't know if the canon mp series officaly needs a4 paper to do the CD-R alignmnet, not noticed that my mp760 was more off than my ip3000.

There is some debate whether to offer the trays with instructions or without. Offing the trays with links... link to a PDF for example avoids possible legal trouble regarding selling a piece of plastic or hacking a device that doesn't have the feature because canon wouldn't pay philips for the license.

Feel free to use the images for the mp700 at http://users.cjb.net/pixma-faq/4.html.

zakezuke

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
LinkinParkIM14 said:
Additional. You might wish to do your screen captures at a low resolution, and without the nifty backdrop. Most of us don't have wide screens and some of us are on dialup, and people looking for information will have their eyes wondering around sorting through the bold pretty colors just to find the run prompt.

LinkinParkIM14

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hehehe, ughhhh, i have a huge 19" and i have my res. at 2048x1536, hehehe. I guess i could, i'd just have to redo almost all the pictures. Although if I am to offer the instructions on CD, no bandwidth needed. That was my thought for printing, no need for internet. Although I dont want any legal issues against me. I'll make sure it's clear that the instructions and such are free of charge, i'm just charging for the tray.

zakezuke

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
LinkinParkIM14 said:
Hehehe, ughhhh, i have a huge 19" and i have my res. at 2048x1536, hehehe. I guess i could, i'd just have to redo almost all the pictures. Although if I am to offer the instructions on CD, no bandwidth needed. That was my thought for printing, no need for internet. Although I dont want any legal issues against me. I'll make sure it's clear that the instructions and such are free of charge, i'm just charging for the tray.
Well I doubt there would be any legal issues on you... mostly it's philips and canon thing. Something to think about.

I feel your pain, I have a huge 20 incher. I don't ever pipe it beyond 1600x1200... come to think about it, I think it's too old to go that high. Old sony 20seII based monitor. Does the job.

Oh, I forgot to reccomend not including the cd-r print software. I know it sounds nutty but this is copyrighted material... something which would require that you get permission from canon to give away. I know it's free for owners... rather comes with the printer, but not the printers who you'll be selling trays to. While canon can't come down on you directly for selling plastic or instructions on how to enable a feature... they could in theory come down on you for a copyright violation.