My newest printer/s and refilling potential??

easytimes

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
For anyone who hasn't seen my recent query, I have just purchased a Canon IP7220 printer, which uses the CLI-250/251 ink tanks. Between my IP4920 and MG6220 printers refilling inks is a mixed bag. The IP4920 works very well, but the MG6220 needs cleaning and print head flushing after nearly every job I do. Both of those use the same tanks, as well... CLI-225/226, but tanks don't seem to be the problem... the printers appear to operate very differently, so refilling works well on the IP4920, and almost not at all on the MG6220. I let the wife use the MG6220 and we buy discounted OEM inks, and I use her empties for refilling in my printer... the IP4920.

Is anyone using the CLI-250/251 tanks in one or another Canon printer? If so, how does it work with refill ink? Do you use some kind of ink additive to prevent clogging. If anyone is using the MG5420 printer, I'd be interested in knowing if that works very well with refill ink? I will probably try refilling with the IP7220, but if there are any tricks or added advice specific to that printer or the MG5420, I'd appreciate any advice.

I'm using Precision Colors ink, so all my comments above apply to Precision Colors ink products.
Thanks for any comments...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
When using any of the printers that takes the 250/251 cartridges, your best bet is to use refillable compatibles cartridges with ARC chips or buy the prefilled compatible cartridges and use till empty.

Trying to refill these 250/251 OEM cartridges is not very easy or successful and really not worth the time and effort that goes into them, they are the new generation of Canon cartridges that give very little return to the refiller..

easytimes

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm supposing Precision Colors would be an acceptable alternative for all my CLI 250/251 refill tanks and resetters. I figured Canon would fix a way to squelch our little play house.

So far the IP4920 sat down two more times, but came right back the first, and just to make sure about everything, I followed Canon's advice about resetting the print head, and did a flush cleaning, before reinstalling. Seems to be fine, now, but that other printer is sitting on a stool waiting for old IP4920 to drop out on me once and for all... then I bring in the new kid with its funky tanks. Oh well.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You should try your very best to keep your iP4920 printer going for as long as you can, it’s worth getting a new head while you still can, because before too long they may not be available.

@easytimes, New is not necessarily better..