My MX885 Printer connects to WLAN but cant Print/Scan to PC

duckydoug

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As the title says, my fairly new MX885 all-in-one printer has suddenly stopped being able to print or scan wirelessly, despite being connected to the WLAN network (confirmed by checking connected devices on router's webpage, and the printer even showing LAN settings like MAC address, IP address correctly). However, since I'm no expert by any means, my troubleshooting has been limited to re-connecting, restarting the printer, clearing LAN settings, everything short of a factory reset.

I'd very much appreciate any insight on what might be causing this, and hopefully, some fixes :) I'm growing increasingly anxious as the week comes to a close and the school semester starts again! Also I'd like to add how awesome this forum is for showing me how to refill tanks and save tons of money, although I've since switched to a CISS system because I had to refill the tanks once every 3 weeks to keep up with demand of 5 college students.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You may be no expert but congratulations on getting your all in one working over a WLAN network in the first place without any problems.

Older Canon AIOs were notorious for dropping out and losing their connection when linked to a USB hub
and not connected to a PC directly, a poorly written scanner driver was the cause.

Its surprising because this problem has been known for years and they never bothered to rectify it.
I cant offer you any comfort except keep doing what youre doing or throw the towel in and use a cable connection.. :(

duckydoug

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Alright! I just restarted the router and it suddenly started printing all the backed up documents, and can print wirelessly once again. Admittedly, this should have been the first thing to try :D

Thanks a lot for your help The Hat! I hope I don't ever come across the real driver issues, and I can't take any credit for setting up the WLAN connection as Canon made it pretty simple.