My i1pro2 now has done it's duty. RIP.

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Spent a day trying to figure out why my profiles gave a soft almost invisible yellow cast in the middle of the gray scales in M2 measuring.
On another paper OBA profiles was outstanding with the help of colorchecker PROOF (those with the holes).

Had to reload "Colormunki photo software" to color pick and measure witt it. Printed the color checker patches and it confirmed
that "blue" was about 10-12 under in the four last grays and on "white" it was 14 units away. In all grays rgb-values should have
the same values theoretically.

Struggling trying to figure out with the baryt paper. Cleaning the white tile and optics. Nope!
i1Diagnostic said all was OK....
Used 25500 sek - that is about the same as 7 hours constant use.

Did some search on the net - that white calibration tile belongs to that very meter from factory.
Meter is factory calibrated with it.
When it shows sign of degradation it's done. However do not know what's wrong with it.
Costs and handling for re-certification seems to be high and that scares me!

Anyone done that?

Now evening here and I pulled out my Color Munki - Bingo!
Then pulled out my old i1pro rev D - Bingo!
Winner? - My old i1pro - somewhat better gray step wedges. Clean all the way!
But "Packman" - the colorMunki - astonish me!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
It is my understanding the the i1Pro and Pro2 use a halogen lamp for patch illumination via a circular mirror, and halogen lamps work with a process that metal vapor from the filament is supposed to settle back where it comes from, but that process does not work 100%, a fraction settles on the inside of the glass tube , and this inside metal film coating changes the spectrum of the emitted light over time; this gets corrected via frequent recals on the white cal tile, but there is an end to that, and the lamp needs to be replaced which is the main service action - at a steep service charge. There may be other misc actions during servicing like cleaning up/removing dust around the sensor lens etc. I somehow remember a notice that X-Rite changed the mix of minerals of the cal tile which slightly changed its color, so yes, the reference data for the spectro should match the revision of the tile. I got my spectros with rather low usage rates via Ebay, not instantly but I kept a search running for some months

Last edited:

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
What You describe sounds correct and make sense! Now the i1pro3 is out and there is a chance there is another one,
worse than me and want to "stay tuned" with the very very latest. For me the second to that is good enough - I'll
find his/hers "left over" hopefully just used for hobby. I'm not in a hurry.

I can suffer with those I have for a while!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The i1Pro3 comes with LED lights, for the visible and UV spectrum, with an additional pol filter, and the sensor has a much larger aperture for a better averaging across print variations/inhomogenities of the patch fields. The pol filter counteracts reading problems/errors on lustre etc type reflective papers, so yes, there are improvements in theory but I'm not sure whether that would be worth an upgrade at this time.

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Oh Lord, Lead us not into temptation !!!!🤫

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
....however....that i1pro3 looks pretty nice....capable and would fit in....:drool

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HE HE HE..... Almost ashamed.....I did clean the white tile before with 99% isoprophanol. Hard to get there. I thought I did it very well.

Before the i1pro2 was going to the bin I thought it might still be contaminated into the material through the surface and into it.
So I dismounted the tile and let it sit in pure isoprophanol for some hours and used Kodak lens paper to rub/polish it now and then.
Then polished it with the same but now dry Kodak lens paper for about 10 minutes - really getting it dry and all micro moisture out of it.

i1profiler: Pulled out 800 patches - waited an hour and did read them making a test profile.
Printed out my test photos - immediately did see the clarity of the gray step wedges.
Then printed Colorchecker - tested it against "Colorchecker PROOF" - subjectively very good result.
Then, not to use the same instrument used Color Munki to spot measure. Light gray was rgb 166,166,163 and medium gray 131,131,128.

That's almost too good to be true - what a nice 800 checker profile that was.
Again the best profiler instrument I have!!!

--->Hereby ordered to go into full duty again!

Mony saved for that Hasselblade drone "DJI Mavic 2 pro" or wait for the next generation there.
The Hasselblad camera on that was not welcomed with ovations - In the spring "DJI Mavic 3 pro" is awaited.

@The Hat - NO! It will be no 3-D printer (just now anyway!).

Life shines!!!

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
@The Hat... I do not understand Your joy at all. Can You tell me the what's amusing You while we are doing the real thing and are happy solving our problems so exellent.

I have not laughed at Your doggie pee lamp in Your garden and will not. Gentleman You know!

Each to his own! 😎

By the way - recomend me a 3D printer that makes me a foil hat not using earth destroying plastics.

Latest posts