My Hp printer show that the catridge is empty after I refilled it?

KaramSoft

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a question my Hp printer show thats the cartridge is empty after I refilled it? My printer is Deskjet 4200 and the cartidge type is 60. so what should I do to make it work?????? and I checked the expire date and it October 2010

thanks,

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
A common misconception by many newbie refillers is that the cartridge will somehow know that there is ink inside when there is ink inside.

As of today, the only cartridges that have a semblance of this are the unchipped Canon BCI-3 and 6 series and the newest Epson cartridhes with 9 electronic contacts. On the Canon, it really cannot tell how high the ink level is but only if there is ink left in the reservoir tank. On the Epson, the ink detect is also an on/off arrangement and it really cannot tell how much ink is left. The Epson cannot be reused after it goes empty and the Canon is two generations old and many of the printers that use that technique have worn out.

There are no cartridges that can physically detect the actual amount of ink inside a cartridge. Let me repeat none. A device like that would be too expensive to place in a disposable cartridge and I estimate too unreliable as well.

That out of the way, the chip is simply a usage counter and nothing else. The ink levels are ESTIMATED like an MPG rating. The manufacturers have put an estimate on how much ink is used depending on how much is printed and that's all. The corollary to this is that if you physically remove the ink from a brand new cartridge, it would still say full. In the past manufacturers used various techniques to create the counter that could be hacked or tricked etc. As time goes by, their methods of securing the chip by physically disabling it after a certain amt of usage is becoming common. This will not allow resetting the counter after refilling, but refilling is permissible thus conforming with certain countries' laws as to recyclability but making the functionality of a refilled item less attractive.

Your HP cartridge counter as of today cannot be reset to show that there is ink inside. There may be tricks down the road that could change this.

Prashob131

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
^Nice info there, So that means HP can easily create a cartridge which wont print after a particular no of pages have been printed, and refilling wont work,isn't?
So why they didn't do such a trick with new cartridge like hp60?

akc185

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
You can easily refill them.

But can anyone suggest how many times we can refill a catridges?

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
You can refill the HP60 type cartridges many times as long as you never let them get low or run out of ink. Low or no ink spells death to these cartridges!

I have one HP74 cartridge that is going on 14 refills over a three year period.
I have HP60s with 8+ refills that are still going strong.

dottorepc

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok, I got it, I hope. There is no way to reset the chip. I have a HP 1050 and I refilled the black tank. It is okay now, working but the level is low. No problem until it works. But how should I know when I need to refill it again? I mean I know it is not so healthy to let it dry out so I would like to refill again before it runs out of ink.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Mikling's post is right on the mark. You can take that one to the bank. Some of the others have some errors.

KaramSoft, the first thing to do is check your printer manual. Mine says you can run a cartridge until it stops printing. Indeed I have done that, and no apparent damage ensued as far as I can tell. If you continue to print long after that, you may or may not permanently damage the print head. (It's possible that the head is thermally protected against printing dry, but that's speculative, and I'm not going to do the experiment.) Again, read the manual and err on the safe side.

With most HP printers the procedure for dealing with low-ink warnings after refilling is just to ignore the warnings. Press "OK" and they will mostly go away.

It's up to you to figure out when a refilled cartridge is low. I do it by weight and page count. I occasionally remove a cartridge and weigh it. You need to keep records. And through the miracle of Chinese sweat shops, you can now buy a very inexpensive (under $20), very good balance with an accuracy of about 0.02 g and a capacity of 100 g.

It would be possible to make a printer that would really stop once it thinks a cartridge is low. But the manufacturers got sued because that leaves a lot of very expensive ink unused. So now they tell you you can print until the ink runs out (again, check your manual, not mine). In the U.S., they cannot legally prevent refilling, so you can keep printing after you get low ink warnings.

joseph99929

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The printhead is on the cartridge for HP 60, so even if you do ruin the printhead, all you'll have to do is buy a new cartridge and problem solved.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Oh. So no worries about the printhead. You can forget most of what I wrote.