My first refill!

chirantha7777

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My very first refill was with a Canon BJC 1000SP. The cartridges were very expensive and I didn't know about refilling. I was around 14. I was sick of ink running out so what I did was took out the BC-6 cart and punched three holes at the top using a heated screw driver. Used screw driver to poke and see the colors and fill the cart with plane tap water. I printed a lot this way. I used insulation tape to seal it off.

Canon has always given me problems... Their print head even in the BC-06 sometimes died before the original ink was finished. Taking the price back then ($USD 60 for BC-06, USD 40 for BC-05) Canon was a real pain.

Then peaces started falling of the BJC 1000SP so I bought

1. IP3500 - died from using wrong ink
2. IP1980 - print head never lasted through the second refill
3. IP3680 - Hopefully running. but seeing starvation issues after like 4 refills

Now I moved to Epson.... even if there is a ink clog I won't burn the print head.

BWlover

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This sounds pretty extreme! Especially if you compare it with the experiences of other people!
If you print head fails before going through the first batch of original ink, then you should look at your warranty.
I don't think it is advisable ever to use plain tap water: a lot of the minerals (esp. calcium salts) in there won't dissolve readily after being heated so this is bound to cause problems with your print head.
Instead buy some distilled water in a DIY shop. It is not very expensive. If not available you can distill water yourself (although it is a bit cumbersome): cook water in a pan with a very clean and dustfree lid. Take of the lid when the water is cooking and collect the water than condensed on the lid. Cool down the lid and repeat until you have enough (it is easier than it sounds). Otherwise at least use water which has been cooking for a few minutes and let it cool down: mineral content will be MUCH lower causing much less problems. Suitable at least for e.g. cleaning.