My Canon mg3650 printer does not recognised Ink

Patrick Hughes

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG3650
Recently installed Ink cartridges in my mg3650 printer but the printer says the cartridges cannot be recognised ? I have tried resetting the ink by holding the stop button down but this does not seemed to have worked. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Not enough info. what type of carts, aftermarket, refillables or OEM..?
Which carts were you using before this...:hu

Patrick Hughes

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG3650
I am using remanfactured cartridges PG 540XL / CL 541XL. I was using OEMs previously so this is the first time i have tried non originals

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The MG3650 is a two cartridge printer using a black and a tri-colour cartridge. No resetter exists for these cartridges, but it is possible to disable ink monitoring to allow printing with a refilled cartridge.

But maybe the remanufactured cartridges are defective? What is the error message?

Patrick Hughes

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG3650
The cartridges are all remanufactured . No originals installed. The error message is 'ink is not canon original'

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Since Canon in maybe 2008 introduced chips in both single ink tank cartridges and combined sponge and printhead cartridges, it has been possible to print with cartridges that have been declared empty and then refilled. You could disable the ink monitoring by pressing and holding the stop/resume button for five or ten seconds when the warning that a cartridge was empty was shown. You could now continue printing but without ink monitoring for that cartridge, and you were warned that this action was stored in the printer's memory and the warranty was lost.

This disabling of the ink monitoring as mentioned in the link in my previous post has worked for me with printers using cartridges as new as PGI-550/CLI-551 and PG-510/512 and CL-511/513. The link mentions PG640, PG640XL, CL641 and CL641XL as also compatible with the procedure. I wondered if this was a typo so it should be PG 540(XL) / CL 541(XL)? which are for use in Europe. The PG 640(XL) / CL 641(XL) are identical except being intended for use in Australia and New Zeeland.

I noticed the link is to an Australian site and early cartridges and printers used the regional coding for Europe, region 5. Later Australia and New Zeeland got their own regional code, region 6. But why could the ink monitoring for PGI-x40/CLI-x41 cartridges be disabled in Australia and New Zeeland but not in Europe?

The MG3650 uses a newer cartridge generation than the PGI-550/CLI-551 and PG-510/512 which could be disabled, the PG 540(XL) / CL 541(XL). Maybe you can no longer disable ink monitoring with printers using these cartridges? But then it should be impossible to sell remanufactured PG 540XL / CL 541XL cartridges? But you find many sites selling these remanufactured cartridges. Did the cartridges come with an instruction telling how to use them?

I checked the Windows user manual for the printer, and found nothing about disabling the ink monitoring. There are only some error messages in case a cartridge is defective or not recognised, and if so the cartridge should be replaced.

HP is using some nag screens when you install a refilled cartridge, but at least when closing these annoying pop-ups you are allowed to print. Can you close the error message that the Canon cartridges are not original and then print?

If you find a solution please post it. Else I suggest to contact the seller of the remanufactured cartridges.

Last edited:

Patrick Hughes

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG3650
Thanks Peter i did try to re-set the cartridges by holding down the Stop button 5 seconds. Originally this did not work even though it works for a lot of cartridges. After further research i found a solution that worked if we remove both cartridges turn off the printer and re-installed each cartridge individually closing the printer after each cartridge is install to re-set the printer.