My Canon manual says I shouldn't refill. How objective is that?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I still top fill and I've never had a bad seal or leaking cart. Many techniques. I don't know anything about the carts your printer uses. I'm still using all bci-6 and bci-3eBK and am nursing along that generation of printers as long as I can. I use a stainless screw and O-ring for a seal. Not the newest technique but it works for me.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I agree, obtaining an air-tight seal for "top fill" is NOT rocket science. There's many methods that work perfectly. After all, the pressures involved are only an inch or two of water!

Wayne

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
Oh, that! When I heard "squeeze bottle" I imagined a bottle w/a nozzle. I didn't think it would involve a needle as well.

So is the German method for a BCI the same as for an opaque CLI?

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am wondering if supporters of squeeze bottles actually refiled full opaque cartridges with German method.

PenguinLust, here is the technique I am using for 525/526 cartridges: use a 10 cc or 20 cc syringe and a 50 mm x 0.9 mm sharp needle. Drill the hole as usual for German method. Fill the syringe with 6 ml for dyes and 10 ml for pigment black. Insert the needle as usual for German method. Keep the cartridge and syringe as is in the top picture on index page of this forum, even at a more pronounced angle (say 45 degrees or more). Slowly inject the ink, keeping an eye on outlet port, in case of overfill it becomes "wet". The 6/10 ml values are for a empty cartridge as signaled by printer monitor. As a safety measure cut and peel a piece of the label on top of cartridge, the area where it writes "push" (but be careful not to unseal the adjacent air maze). Doing this you can see if after refill there are only small bubble(s). If there is a lot of air it may need additional 1-2 ml of ink.

And as msmart said, reset before refill.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
gigiogu said:
I am wondering if supporters of squeeze bottles actually refiled full opaque cartridges with German method.
Ah, good point. I didn't even consider that. In that case, syringe is prolly the way to go.

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
Well thank you so much. If you don't hear from me again, I guess you can assume that it went off w/out a hitch (or it killed me. Watch for me in the obits)

Also, what's the enviro-happy way for disposing of my old BCI inks?