MX870 color printing help needed

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have been faithfully running deep cleans on my MX870 monthly, but the other day when I tried to print a photo all I was getting was yellow in the printed photo.

In the past with other Canon printers I removed the printhead and cleaned it in hot water (below the copper contact area) then ran a mixture of window glass cleaner and water through the head ports. Then ran several cleanings and it resolved printer head problems; but alas nothing but yellow color when I attempt to print anything in color with the MX870 following the cleaning operation..

I would appreciate any suggestions or advice in corrective methods.

Frank

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Frank,

To start with dont attempt to print anything other than a nozzle check till you have resolved your ink problems
as you can damage you print head running it without ink in all of the nozzles.

I take it that you fill your own OEM cartridges so can you get some other cartridges that you know will work,
new or cheap compatibles just till we know what exactly your problem is,
as it could just as lightly be your cartridges and not your print head at all.

I wouldnt recommend doing deep head cleans either because they just waste all your ink and are mostly unnecessary,
so only do a normal head clean when you need too but not as a monthly routine a nozzle check is usually all thats needed weekly.

Using some other good cartridges will tell you whether your print head is clogged or your current cartridges are at fault
and hopefully you havent damaged your print head beyond repair.

Post a nozzle check if you can as that will help enormously in the diagnosis of your problem...

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Many thanks for the response, Hat. BTW where in Ireland are you from. My maternal ancestors Doyles?Bulgers were from Tramore and my Denn/Powers ancestors were from Kilkenny. No idea where the Murphy s came from.

I do fill my OEM Canon cartridges using the so called German method - I have been recently using Hobbie colors inks which have received good marks by some forum members since Atlas Inks went out of business.

I replaced the cartridges with new Canons OEM carts and after 2 nozzle checks and a cleaning I am beginning to see some colors on the print check.
Below hopefully is the nozzle check image now:

739_img.jpg

The colors are not very vivid - would you suggest additional cleaning cycles. Is there any evidence of print head damage in your opinion?

I am wondering if the sponges in the refilled carts has dried before I refilled and were no longer able to transmit ink?

Thank your for your patience with all the questions from this novice

Frank Murphy

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
fdm2000 said:
I do fill my OEM Canon cartridges using the so called German method - I have been recently using Hobbie colors inks since Atlas Inks went out of business.

I replaced the cartridges with new Canons OEM carts and after 2 nozzle checks and a cleaning
I am beginning to see some colors on the print check.

I am wondering if the sponges in the refilled carts has dried before I refilled and were no longer able to transmit ink?
All of your cartridges will benefit greatly from a good purging (Cleaning) as this will bring them back to like new again
because I dont know if you purge them before change to your new inks.
The colors are not very vivid - would you suggest additional cleaning cycles.
Is there any evidence of print head damage in your opinion?
Your Colours certainly do look a bit washed out but cleaning cycles are not going to help them.

Have you tried cleaning the timing strip that is attached to the back of your print head as that might help
with the colours but your photo black looks non-existing and is probably damaged beyond repair at this stage?

Try running a couple of sheets with these solid ink strips that will get the ink flowing
and up to speed again much better that any cleaning cycle will.

5128_test_print.jpg

Set your printer to print on full glossy paper in the highest quality and see how the photo black turns out,
as that will determine whether that section of the print head is dead or alive.

I am sorry I don't have better news for you on the condition of the print head, the jury is still out I'm afraid.

BTW where in Ireland are you from. My maternal ancestors Doyles?Bulgers were from Tramore
and my Denn/Powers ancestors were from Kilkenny. No idea where the Murphy s came from.
It looks like all of your distant relations came from the Munster region and the Murphy clan comes from Cork,
I am originally from the smoke (Dublin) Leinster and now reside in Wicklow..:)

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for your continuing assistance,

1. I will have to research exactly what the timing strip is on the back of the printhead and how to clean it; unless you have developed a method that works.

2. Also will research how to purge/clean carts - if you have a technique that you find effective would you please share it.

After running the solid ink strips my photo black is coming through with more intensity - so hopefully that section of the print head is not badly damaged, if at all. That's a relief.

Frank

Latest posts