MX860 all-in-one: worse than MX850/MP830

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Marck,..Thanks for letting us know about the new ink-Printer technology. I tend to spend so much of my time working on current stuff I forget to raise my head every now and then and look around for what is new.

Looking close at the BASIC printer, it is just a new model of the MPXXX line with a new printhead and new ink. Since the goal of printing on plain paper, they developed a new printing process, but I'm not sure this is all PIgiment ink. They make the statement that they HAVE PIGMENTED BLACK ink, but you never read in the speci's anything aout the rest of the ink being pigmented. The 6th ink cartridge is not ink but a new clear solution that I suspect is an over coat that seals all of the ink to make it brighter and water proof. This is just a guess. I have seen spray can of a similar overcoat to protect prints from fading and water spots.

Now if you are doing this because of business, I would ask you to think about the entire process, and what is important for you business. The total goal of this newer technology is to allow you to print high quality images on plain, low cost paper. However, with this introduction the print quality is limited to 4800x 1200 dpi (and not the previous 9600x2400 dpi of last years model), and the printing time is twice as slow, and the ink is almost twice as expensive and it is only available at limited stores so you have to order it by mail and pay shipping. All of this effort just to use plain paper????????. I think that in a business, time is money and I would just as soon buy some good paper and print with my old fast, low cost, really very good quality printer.

Go to the Canon web site and read the reviews of that printer from real people. If I step back, I don't think this is going to be a big seller, unless you are a special business where all of the above factors fall in favor of this printer. Therefore I see a small market for this guy.

Marck

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Trigger 37 - yes compared to Canon's latest models, I think the expense and 4800 Dpi etc etc of the MX7600 would rule this multi function printer out for me.

The reviews for MX7600 do seem quite good though (well from early last year). CNET were impressed:- http://reviews.cnet.com/best-printers/?tag=leftColumnArea1.0

And yes websnail, I wonder if Canon regard it as a success and are experimenting further with this PgR technology and will include it on future models? Guess they would never tell us and we'll just have to wait & see.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
The MX7600 is an interesting option to which I gave much consideration with its pigmented colors and the clear ink resin. However the lack of a reputable source for bulk clear ink makes it less desirable. I was also concerned about the availability of the clear ink cartridge, and its price once the printer was phased out.

(Unfortunately the CNET tests aren't good. For example, they propose a model that prints photos using 3 colors as one of the best photo printers.)