MX860 6C10 error, times 3!

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I'm now encountering the error 6C10 on my THIRD MX860. The first one was new, and the last two are Canon refurbs. On all three this has occurred within the first 3,000-5,000 pages on the printer.

The error will occur when a document is sent to print from a computer or when a copy is being made. I can at times get the printer to work if I turn it off then back on again, but it sometimes takes several attempts. The nozzle check is clean and I have tried swapping out for new/different printheads & cartridges, neither of which seem to make any difference.

I have spent 30+ minutes searching the web (and this site) and most of the information seems to point to a purge system error, either the purge pump cam sensor or waste ink full (which is highly unlikely). I have checked everything I can visually see and I don't see anything out of the ordinary, nor are there any unusual sounds.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I hate to keep putting down perfectly functional printers due to a silly error!
Thanks!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Here is a solution I found on another site for you to try.
1:
Move the printhead to the center.
Disconnect the printer and check on the right: is the purge unit ok ? No peace of paper ?

2 Do a reset of the printer:
Power on
Hold down the "Resume" button (triangle in a circle) for 15 to 20 seconds.

3: Power off the printer.
Open the door.
Power on.
When the cartridge is in the center, close the door.

4: Open the lid and allow the ink cartridge carrier to center itself.
Looking to the right, you will see a row of white rollers behind the carrier.

At the end of the rollers there is a small, clear piece of plastic that sticks up.
Take a small piece of a paper towel and wipe all of the ink off this piece of plastic.
When that is clean move on to the ink pad.

About 1 inch, towards the front of the printer from that piece of plastic,
is a small square, about 1/2 inch per side, that is a small foam pad.

This is where the excess ink is collected.
Take a piece of paper towel and press into the foam. Do this until the paper towel is no longer collecting ink.
Close the lid, turn off the printer then turn it back on.

JD Carroll

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX860 pixima
I have been working on this problem for a while now. I have tried all the above and had no luck. I read somewhere there was a cog that had to be moved, anyone heard of that? Also, I found a little torsion cog wheel in front of the ink pads that has a spring on it, which came off, of course, but I think I got it back on correctly. I downloaded the SM tool but the printer immediately gives the 6c10 code after booting and I can't get it to work. This new 'immediate' error is kind of new I used to be able to atleast get to the startup defalt screen. Anybody got any newer info on this problem? I don't want to buy a new printer because I have a big stock of cartridges. Please help. Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@JD Carroll, try giving the whole area in and around the purge unit a good spray/Splashing of Windex and them mop up everything with some paper towels, it’s probably a micro switch on the purge unit cam that’s got stuck, just guessing..

JD Carroll

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX860 pixima
Thanks I was going in that direction. I have cleaned the pads and all around the purge area but I can't get to the micro switch. I saw a video that showed it was up front towards the bottom and I can't get the side off. I will try spray down the cog wheel and hope it reaches the switch. I have been able to turn the cog wheel from the wheel on the left and it seems to engage and disengage ok. The blades are all clean and every thing seems to work right up till the final boot sequence when the stupid error comes in and stops everything. Have any ideas on removing the side? I have the service manual but it is not very clear. It seems more oriented towards techs with special tools and a strong working knowledge of the printers, not me.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The service manual has a disassembly instruction, and the parts catalog with its assembly drawings might also be useful. You find a download of a .rar archive with service manuals and parts catalogs for Canon MX700, MX850 and MX860 here: http://dfiles.eu/files/7hrvq3sgx

JD Carroll

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX860 pixima
Thanks a million. I will try to get this baby apart and clean that stinking switch. I think that is the problem. I will post my results. Thanks again.

JD Carroll

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX860 pixima
What a bummer! I took the whole thing apart, thanks for the link to the Service Manual, got to the stupid switch, cleaned it, manually moved the cog through the rotation and saw the cog hit and move the switch and everything worked mechanically in manual. I put the whole thing back together, quite a task, turned it on and got the same 6c10 error!!! I can watch the setup run and the cogs that engage the switch aren't moving. If i can push the wheel with the spring on it back I can manually engage the other cogs but it won't do it by itself. any thoughts? I am really close to calling it a day on this one. I can get a new printer for $100, if I wasn't so stubborn I would have done that a couple of days ago.
Thanks for any input.

gprkinto

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX860
Hi Peter,
I'm new to this forum and came here searching for a solution to my printer error C610 on my MX860.
Unfortunately, this link does not work anymore. If you still own that manual, could you please send me a copy?
Thanks in advance
Georg