MX726 - how to clean the printhead?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Detergent? Just a supermarket dishwashing liquid (for hand dishwashing that is. My job :))
:thumbsup Good. You want a liquid dish washing soap like Dawn or Fairy. Do not use something that is made for a dishwasher machine.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The usual washing up liquid brands can be bought in NZ, Dawn and Fairy are the top brands, and Mr muscle and Ajax make good window cleaners and many more brands are available too, just look at the label before purchasing to see if it’s got the right ingredients in it.

There is no need to spend unnecessary cash on products that you probably already have under the kitchen sink, so, come on let’s see the latest nozzle check, because without this information we all could be flogging a dead horse...:idunno

Dean

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG 5660
Yes The Hat is quite correct in saying that you can use dishwashing liquid. Most detergents will break down water based inks quite well. Many of the cleaning fluids are actually detergent based.

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
Sorry for the delay, been without a computer for a few days.
Ok - headsup: The yellow cart was around half full, but nothing was coming out. Color prints were missing yellow tints and Nozzle Checks showed only a white space on the page. The cart was the last remaining original Canon, I'd replaced all the others with compatibles.
It seemed odd that the yellow should suddenly stop, so I thought, before I got into a lengthy printhead cleaning job I'd try a new compatible yellow cart.
Popped it in, did a test page and everything worked. Problem solved.
Absolutely no idea why the Canon cart suddenly failed. It was reporting an almost full status, and the ink was definitely there, because I busted it open.
Another mystery.
Sorry I can't do a scan of the Nozzle Check printout, Hat. My wife burnt the old one when she was cleaning, and the check is now normal, of course.
Thanks everyone for your contributions and advice.
Dean, thanks so much for the offer to send some cleaning solution. It seems like I'm ok now, but I'll be in touch if I ever need it again.
Cheers, all.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Absolutely no idea why the Canon cart suddenly failed. It was reporting an almost full status, and the ink was definitely there
We've heard this numerous times over the years and is why we often recommend initially trying a new or known working cartridge (or flush and refill the questionable cartridge). Ink flow can be thwarted in several ways independent of whether there is ink in the cartridge.

Congratulations on getting your print running appropriately again! :thumbsup

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
We've heard this numerous times over the years and is why we often recommend initially trying a new or known working cartridge (or flush and refill the questionable cartridge). Ink flow can be thwarted in several ways independent of whether there is ink in the cartridge.
This thread should be a lesson to all newbie printer hobbyists... :old

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I agree. In case of ink starvation, the cartridges should be the the first thing to test. Here is a thread about a magenta ink starvation problem. The offending cartridge still held around 50% ink in the reservoir. The cause of the ink starvation was most likely an airlock in the cartridge.