MX 882 no longer prints photos

DandyDave

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MX 882 MX 892
My MX882 always printed nice photos from the rear feed. I would also use it occasionally to print a photo on plain paper from the cassette. When I tried to print a 4X6 photo from the rear tray recently, it printed only part of the photo (the center), it was out of focus, and put a lot of extra ink on the paper. I then tried printing on plain paper from the cassette and got a message to “load paper into the rear tray…” When I try an 8X10 from the cassette it says it cannot print this size from there. I have tried to print with two programs that I have used many times before to no avail. I have checked the printer setup and cannot spot anything amiss. I hope someone can help as I really like this printer for photos, etc. Thanks.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Could you upload scans of one of the misprinted photos, the nozzle check from the printer driver's maintenance tab, and the Windows printer test page?

This might help in determining if the problem is caused by a hardware or a software failure. If the nozzle check and the Windows printer test page look normal, I think it is a software problem, and deleting the printer and all Canon software and reinstalling might help. I guess operator error can be ruled out?

Last edited:

DandyDave

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MX 882 MX 892
Could you upload scans of one of the misprinted photos, the nozzle check from the printer driver's maintenance tab, and the Windows printer test page?

This might help in determining if the problem is caused by a hardware or a software failure. If the nozzle check and the Windows printer test page look normal, I think it is a software problem, and deleting the printer and all Canon software and reinstalling might help. I guess operator error can be ruled out?

Going to be out for a few days but I wanted to quickly say that I tried a nozzle check and it was okay. Unfortunately all of the photos have been trashed. I downloaded and reloaded the driver, shut the printer off a number of times, and shut down the computer a number of times to no avail. I will try to print another photo when I return. Operator error is always a likelihood but both my wife and I have tried printing and I have reviewed the setup each time. Thanks.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Were the misprinted photos compressed in height so the ink was laid down in a stripe instead of a normal format image? If so this could mean that the printer has a problem with feeding the photo paper from the rear tray. Has the photo printing from the rear tray worked properly before? You could test the rear tray paper feed by loading plain paper in it and chose that paper source for plain paper and print a text document. If this works then try printing the same test document on a letter sized piece of photo paper, without changing any settings. If this also works. I think there is a problem with the printer's driver, software or settings.

I have experienced an image compressed into a stripe when testing photo printing on an old HP Deskjet 930. The used photo paper was 280 gsm, and the printer simply couldn't handle this paper, a much thinner paper is needed for photo printing on the HP.

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
Hi,

Please check the settings for the default tray for plain paper in the printer settings. This can be done from the printer menu or from the driver on your computer.

Another thing is bad photo printing. This may be due to lack of flatness of the sheet of photo paper. The paper may be curved or have a bulge in the middle.

This may look like here:
2421526500_1370692097.jpg
6063241300_1370692096.jpg