much too black

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
i don't know if there is a quick fix, but i will ask, i am using a pixma 4200 and printing on glossy paper. with photoshop elements 6. a photo that i have scanned is a portrait that the person is wearing a black suit. when i print it the detail in the suit can not be seen at all (the original has the detail), such as the lapels. when i just lighten the photo (+12) the flesh tones also lighten too much, what is the best way to lighten the blacks with the minimum effect on flesh tones thank you

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Use image diting software like photoshop to select an area that needs adjutment and apply your effect only there. Try Viveza plugin for photoshop.

EdwardM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Mrelmo,
Sounds like you need to raise the black point before printing (btw, this same question has cropped up in another section of the forums). Raising the BP does not alter the colours or grey shades in any way, it just moves them up to fit the gamut of the paper. Black point can be adjusted using either levels or curves.
Download the print ramp image from here: http://www.outbackphoto.com/booklets/resources/fap/PrinterRamp.tif. Print it using your final quality settings. The number of the darkest patch that shows no difference between the grey & black is the BP you need to set. You may as well set the white point too from the same print - i.e. the number above the patch that shows no discernable difference between the light grey & white. Once done, using these settings should give you the best grey/colour range the paper is capable of.

Best,
Ed.

EdwardM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes, you're right, the direct link doesn't work. Go to the page http://www.outbackphoto.com/booklets/resources/fap/ and right-click/save as.. on the file 'PrinterRamp.tif'.The TIF is compressed using ZIP instead of the more usual LZH, but opens fine in Photoshop. Any further trouble, PM me & I can email it direct.
Ed.