MP830 - Waste Ink - LF - Service questions

speedracer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Recently acquired an MP830 and after printing out the eeprom and service pages I had the following questions: Waste ink is showing at 005.0 which I am assuming is 5% is this a correct assumption? I assume that's good if the TOTAL number before a waste ink pad change out is 90% or 100% ?? Secondly the LF (line feed) has no number. According to the service manual it should be 0, 1, or 2 yet all I have is a *. This * appears in both printouts yet the printout seems to be o.k. and it prints 'stuff' o.k. - problem?? Lastly, acquired a Canon service manual for this unit. I do service work (not on printers) and this CANON manual appears spotty. For example, the paper jam switch - there is no picture of the switch nor any indication of where it is actually located within the unit nor a checkout procedure for it only a mention in the parts section. I see NO real checkout procedure/process to determine if a pcb is defective or something else. It usually states try this and then change out pcb. NOT really technical. Can I assume that when sent to a Canon repair facility they either have a pcb checker, they just swap stuff until it works or they've just done it long enough they just KNOW?? Just curious or if there are other manuals/docs that would provide a better insight into fixing should the need arise. THANKS for any comments offered....

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
On my ip4300 eeprom report (should be similar), the LF parameter is related to the CD printing function (on the same line as CDRP and CDRS). Maybe you don't have CD printing on your MP830, or have never used it.

D=005.0 means waste pad 5% full (as you said).

The repair policy of "try this and then change out pcb" is sensible, because the idea is to complete the repair in the shortest possible time - labour costs being so much higher than the costs of the boards (peanuts cost to the manufacturer, though not to the retail customer).

Ian