MP830 Photo Black

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I am trying to solve the photo black (CLI-8BK) that I have for over 3 months. This is on my MP830.

Doing a few cleaning cycles, with Windex on the inlet screen, will result a perfect nozzle check. But after printing a few pages, the nozzle check shows problem with the photo black.

4064_photoblack.jpg

I am using Canon OEM ink cartridges. I have switched the photo black cartridge from my iP4500. The result is the same.
I noticed that the photo black ink level did not go down at all after a few cleaning cycles. The chip on the photo black cartridge reports low ink level. But it still have a full tank of ink.

The purge unit is working fine. I flooded the right square pad with Windex. The Windex disappears after close/open the cover.

My observation:
1. I think the Windex dilutes the photo black ink when I put Windex on the inlet screen before doing cleaning cycles. This is the only way that I got a perfect nozzle check. After that, I can print over 20 perfect nozzle check in a row.
Trigger 37 said in other thread that the nozzle may hold enough ink to print 30 nozzle check.
2. The photo black nozzles are clogged badly because the cleaning cycles did not lower the photo black ink level.
3. Is it possible that the purge tube is not connected to the bottom of square pad and the Windex just drained away?

Any suggestion on how to approach this problem.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I presume your iP4500 does not show the same symptom with the two dye black cartridges and so you have concluded that the problem is not in the cartridges but must be in your MP830.

After you do 20 or so nozzle checks and you see the problem, does a single cleaning cycle cause the nozzle checks to work again correctly for another 20 cycles? If so, the purge unit is working correctly. I'm guessing that your purge unit is working correctly.

Check the rubber washer surrounding the ink inlet port on the print head. If it is cracked or otherwise not making a good seal, air can get in and interrupt the ink flow process. You might want to swap it with the one from your iP4500 and see if that corrects the problem.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
I presume your iP4500 does not show the same symptom with the two dye black cartridges and so you have concluded that the problem is not in the cartridges but must be in your MP830.
Correct.

After you do 20 or so nozzle checks and you see the problem, does a single cleaning cycle cause the nozzle checks to work again correctly for another 20 cycles? If so, the purge unit is working correctly. I'm guessing that your purge unit is working correctly.
Sometime, it took 2 -3 cleaning with the Windex on the inlet screen to get the perfect nozzle check.

Check the rubber washer surrounding the ink inlet port on the print head. If it is cracked or otherwise not making a good seal, air can get in and interrupt the ink flow process. You might want to swap it with the one from your iP4500 and see if that corrects the problem.
If my memory serves me well, the rubber washer is not a solid piece of rubber. It is hollow. I cannot turn it up-side-down to get a good seal. But I will switch it with the one used in iP4500 next few days when I have time to play.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
embguy said:
ghwellsjr said:
Sometime, it took 2 -3 cleaning with the Windex on the inlet screen to get the perfect nozzle check.
Since it takes several cleaning cycles with Windex to get the dye black to work again, this could be caused by the same thing that is causing the nozzle check to eventually fade out.

We need a more definitive test to determine if the purge unit is working correctly.

On a chipless printer, it would be easy because you can just remove one of the other color cartridges and do a cleaning cycle which will suck air into the nozzles and you can do a nozzle check to prove that none of the nozzles are producing the correct pattern. Then you can put the cartridge back in and do another cleaning cycle and see if it now produces a correct nozzle check pattern.

But the printers with chipped cartridges won't let you do that. They are protecting you from doing something stupid. So we have to outsmart the printer. Here's the stupid thing I suggest. Take a piece of Saran wrap or similar plastic wrap, remove one of your other color cartridges, cover the inlet port on the print head and replace the cartridge. Now do a cleaning cycle followed by a nozzle check and repeat if necessary until that color produces no pattern. I'm not sure if this will work because the Saran wrap may prevent air from getting into the print head. It may just not produce a correct nozzle check but still have ink in the print head.

Now you can remove the plastic wrap and replace the cartridge but don't use any Windex. Do a single cleaning cycle followed by a nozzle check. It should produce the correct pattern. If it doesn't, the purge unit isn't working correctly but now you will probably have the problem on two colors instead of just black because you did something stupid. But, you did it in the interest of gaining knowledge, so it will be worth it.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
No need for the plastic wrap. All I need to do is take the rubber washer off. It will suck air without the vacuum seal.

I am thinking of applying a thin layer of Vaseline on the dye black rubber washer to get a better seal. Any comments.

We need a more definitive test to determine if the purge unit is working correctly.
Would it be easier to open the printer up and do the visual inspection on the purge unit. But we do not have detailed information on how to take the enclosure off. Members who had open the enclosure should document the steps. Over time, we will have a good collection of printer information.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't put Vaseline on a rubber washer. Oil-based products will deteriorate rubber, sometimes quickly - sometimes over time. Try something else that is NOT oil-based.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It is possible that the seal deep inside the head for the black channel is compromised and is allowing air to enter at a very slow rate when under vacuum. If your printer is still under warranty, then that might be necessary. Otherwise I am leaning towards a recommendation of a new head, unless you wish to undertake the risky task of disassembling the printhead. If you fail in this endeavour, you will need a new head, which you would have otherwise required anyway.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
What is the forum policy on posting download link for printer service manual? I found the MP830 parts catalog and service manual.

Update:
Anyone looking for MP830 service manual, do a Google search on "Canon_Pixma_Mp830_Complete_Service_Repair_Maintenance_Manual"

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I don't think there is any problem posting a link. Others have done it.

Are you going to remove the rubber seal for one of your other dye inks to get air into the print head and then reinstall it to see if a single cleaning will restore correct operation?

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ghwellsjr,
I am rebuiding my deck before winter sets in. I will do the no rubber washer test after the deck project. Now I have the manual. I will take the cover off and do a visual inspection on the purge unit.