MP830 - Error codes and total pages...

speedracer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Due to several answers received on this forum as a result of another post, I have concentrated my efforts to obtain an MP830. While new in a box would have been nice I have tracked down several used ones. In researching this model I have run across several units that had the 6500 and several other error codes. The 6500 being the worst (ckt board). Are these error codes the norm or are these units defective because of the luck of the draw? I certainly do NOT want to buy a unit that is prone to numerous error codes. Secondly, given the wisdom of this forum what would you all say is an average number of pages a unit looked at today should have? I realize less is better but there is a reality. IF not mistaken the eeprom printout should indicate the TOTAL number of pages the unit has done. Therefore, IF I can print out this report I can see how many pages printed and compare to what you all believe is a normal amount of pages (useage). Hope this makes sense. Are there any other 'areas' or 'potential problem sites' that I should look at when examining these units. As always your help is greatly appreciated... HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
After a lot of bad experiences buying used printers on eBay, I would not buy any used printer that I did not have the chance to examine first. I would not put any bearing on the number of pages printed. The real number you want to see is how full is the waste ink tank. Unfortunately, on a lot of printers, users that know how, can set this number to any value they want.

What I would do after a nozzle check is make sure the purge pump is working by putting some Windex on the waste ink pads and see if it gets sucked away after closing and re-opening the cover.