MP830 best replacement ink cartriges

macattak1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Greetings, I have an MP830.

First, wondering how this printer stacks up to the other Canon AIO's out there. Eg. What would I replace it with that has excellent scanning, printing, fax, etc. But that is just a side question. Thanks.

I have been using only OEM ink.
I just tried LDT ink cart refills. They are chipped. I did not do a ton of research. But wish I had. Not that they are bad. But I am having some challenges and now sure where they originate from.

I am not into refilling my own just yet. But I would love some good suggestions on high quality ink and a good easy system for doing so.

So, if you are not refilling your own, where are you finding 'your' best ink? Black and Color? Perhaps different places. This is for the PGI5bk and CLI8c cartridges.

NOTE: LDs come with installed chip

The challenge I have run into thus far is:
Had all OEM ink/carts in.
PGi5bk ran out.
Inserted LD-PGI5bk.
print quality went from great to miserable.
I knew it was the new cart. But I ran a deep clean just because.
Print improved some. But not much.

Then my cyan ran out.
Put in an LD-CLI8c

Then I decided to put in the other LD-PGIbk to see if it would fix the black print.
Test prints color OK.
Test print black still bad.
Popped out LD-PGibk and put back in.
Printer stopped recognizing it and the LD cyan. Error U043 The following ink tank cannot be recognized.
Popped it out and in again and stopped recognizing all inks.

Put in the last Canon OEM PGI-5bk that I had.
Everything back to normal and working fine.
The LD Cyan is still in there and printing fine.
I just put in an LD-Y and it is printing just fine.

Do colors usually work better then the large black? Or is that probably irrelevant?
What happens if I pull out the OEM PGI-5bk and replace with the LD and then go back to the very same OEM and then back to one of the two none yet working LD blacks? Can I cause ink count problems?

Have heard nothing back from LD ink yet. But it has only been an hour or so.
Sorry this is so long. Welcome to my dementia!

So to recap:
1- Best MF/AIO printer with great photo and text, high quality scan, fax?
2- Best Canon refilled cartridges?
3- Any experience with my challenges or solutions?

macattak1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I tried putting back-in one of the LD-PGIbk, but printer refused to acknowledge ANY ink carts then.
Put OEM PGIbk back in and now fine.

Same for either LD PGIbk's.

Should I just avoid the none OEM carts for the PGI's?

Thanks

macattak1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Scrapped the replacement carts.
Replaced with HobbiColors refill ink.

Now looking for a CIS

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
macattak1 said:
Scrapped the replacement carts.
Replaced with HobbiColors refill ink.

Now looking for a CIS
I also have a Canon MP830.

The prevailing opinion is to use OEM Canon cartridges and refill them with high quality ink such as Hobbicolors. The consistency of function and durability appear to outweigh the extra cost of the OEM for most.

I have used Hobbicolors pure Pigment Black ink (not the mixed pigment and dye black ink) with excellent results. It withstands highlighting with a Sharpie (orange and yellow colored) without smearing. Text quality can be quite good but depends on the quality of the paper used, so your mileage may vary. In the near future I will begin to use Precision Inks pigment black ink, so I'll have an apples-to-apples crude comparison.

Good luck with a CISS for the Canon AIO's. It has been done by a fearless few on this forum. I'll leave it to them to comment.