MP800: power doesn't turn on

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 - Epson XP-810
Hi all,
I need an advice. In my quest for an head replacement I found an used MP800 on sale for spare parts.

The issue is that the power doesn't turn on anymore. I was told that It happened suddenly after that the printer was turned down while it was doibng an automatic cleaning cycle.

From the MP800 manual the solution is an AC adapter fault or the logic board ass'y.

How are the probabilities that the fault is the AC adapter (I got a spare one for it) and not the board (in this case it will be useless)?

How is it possible to tell it?

The seller is far away from where I live and I have no chance to do a test

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Hi all,
I need an advice. In my quest for an head replacement I found an used MP800 on sale for spare parts.

The issue is that the power doesn't turn on anymore. I was told that It happened suddenly after that the printer was turned down while it was doibng an automatic cleaning cycle.

From the MP800 manual the solution is an AC adapter fault or the logic board ass'y.

How are the probabilities that the fault is the AC adapter (I got a spare one for it) and not the board (in this case it will be useless)?

How is it possible to tell it?

The seller is far away from where I live and I have no chance to do a test
Why bother with the risk? I would assess it at greater than 50% the logic board is at fault. Buy one that works...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Apart from a defective AC adapter and a defective logic board, mentioned in the service manual, a defective print head can also prevent the printer from turning on. So one or more of these parts is/are defective.

When a Canon print head fails, it can damage the logic board in the printer. A damaged logic board can damage a new print head.

If the logic board in the MP800 was damaged by the print head, this print head might also damage the logic board in another printer. Swapping print heads between printers for troubleshooting is a very risky procedure that is not recommended, so be careful.

Here is a thread about testing the AC adapter from a Canon MP610. It also explains the interaction between print head, logic board and the AC adapter. Your AC adapter might be different, so a different extension cable might be needed for testing. The markings on the AC adapter should tell what voltages to expect in operating mode. The AC adapter also has a standby mode with lower voltage outputs.

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 - Epson XP-810
Thanks for the help, really appreciated.

I read the thread linked by Peter BJ too late unfortunately, I already bought the printer (luckily for few bucks). It seems that I am trowing money out of the window given that most likely is a board fault. I will discover it when I'll receive it.

I am doing this because i am desperately trying to revive my ip4300 (that shares the same printhead with the mp800) don't wanting to buy a new model because of the increasing difficulties in refilling the new cartridges