MP610, entire swath of magenta missing, Clogged or electric problem?

plenus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am a user of Canon MP610.
When I do nozzle check, the entire swath of the third row of Magenta, the lightest Magenta, is missing. In this case, is the nozzle clogged or it has an electric problem? Any way to find out and to resolve it?

Thanks.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Since some of your magentas work, it is probably an electrical problem, but you should try some cleaning techniques to see if you can fix it.

Before you start doing head cleanings, you want to make sure your purge unit is working because this is what performs the head cleaning. There are two pads off to the right where the print head parks. They may be hard to see so use a flashlight. Put some Windex or other window cleaner on them using a syringe, eye dropper or a pinched straw. Make sure the liquid will remain on the pads for awhile. It will make the pads look shiny. Then close the cover until the noise stops. Then open the cover and look at the pads. If they are still shiny, the purge unit is not working and that could explain why your nozzle check is not correct. If you can see the rough surface of the pads, then the purge unit is working.

Assuming the purge unit is working, you can try two or three normal head cleanings followed by nozzle checks. Just clean the color nozzles because you don't want to waste your pigment ink. All of the color nozzles will be cleaned at the same time. Let us know how things work at this point and then we'll provide additional directions.

plenus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ghwellsjr, Thank you for your kind reply. Actually I have already tried some cleaning measures several times. But there still is the problem. What should I do now?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Have you checked your purge unit? You need to do that before you do any head cleaning.

plenus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Yes, the purge unit has no problem. Actually I've read many postings here and I did what is suggested but there is no progress at all.
Now I am suspecting there is an electric problem. How can I check if there is an electric problem?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I think you should try a head cleaning technique which is described in this post and in some of the links in that thread. Basically, you want to remove the seal around your magenta inlet port on the print head and then get the proper size tubing to fit over the inlet port and a tube that will fit inside it to get down to the size necessary to fit on the end of a syringe so that you can do the suck and squirt routine with Windex.

I'm sure you have read how you need to keep the electronics dry or at least dry them thoroughly before putting the print head back in the printer.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
One question nobody has thought to ask but... what are you using as cartridges or ink supply?

Which of the following apply:
- Using a CISS?
--- Which type/seller?
--- Whick inks?

- Refilling?
--- Which bulk ink?

- 3rd party cartridges?
--- Which supplier?

- Canon OEM/original cartridges?

That sort of information would really help with something like this...

plenus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am using the Canon original catridges but I refill with the ink made by a Korean company and reset the chip everytime after the refill. One ink refill compnay in Korea invented their own system for refill-- screw out the plastic ball, put the ink into the catridge through the hole and seal the hole with rubber cap.
I am not sure you understand me well.