MP610 broken scanner glass: how to change it?

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 - Epson XP-810
>

> Most of them still believe that it could be fixed or don't realize that their beloved printer has become just a piece of junk

To make everyone realize this is one of the tasks of this forum :)

LOL! :D

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
The "Donor" printer has finally arrived. The scanner glass is fine and now I will proceed with the transplant...

I will post all the steps as a guide, for the time being here you are the preliminary steps:

1)
for first I removed the printer top cover with the scanner unit. Just follow the instructions into the service manual (just google for "MP610 service manual"). There are at least three connectors to remove, take a lot pictures to remember how connections were.

The scanner unit can be easily opened, there are only four screws in place as you can see below

MP610_BrokenGlass_0.jpg

2)
helping yourself with a screwdriver loosen the clips......

MP610_BrokenGlass_1.jpg

3)
...... and the scanner will open!!! You can clearly see the broken glass.
PLEASE BE CAREFUL: IT MAKES A LOT OF LITTLE SHARDS (THAT HURTS ). WEAR SAFETY GLOVES AND USE A VACUUM CLEANER TO CLEAN THEH WORKBENCH WHEN DONE

MP610_BrokenGlass_2.jpg

4)
The original plan was to just change the glass (I have a few broken Canon printers as donors) but the double-sided adhesive tape made too hard removing the remains, with a huge risk of breaking the black plastic frame

MP610_BrokenGlass_3.jpg

5)
So I bought a broken MP610 to use as a "Donor". It arrived a couplel of days ago.

TO BE CONTINUED

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Today I finally found the time to resume the scanner unit transplant.

It was easier than I tought. I just took the scanner unit from the "Donor" printer and put it in the other one, as you can see from the picture below.

IMG_7707.JPG

IMG_7710.JPG

When I turned on the printer for the first time....

TA-DA!!

5010 error :th

I found that it is related to a scanner error.

Someone can help? Any hint on how to fix this error?

Is there any specific procedure to do when you change the scanner unit?

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I guess you already have the service manual? From the service manual p. 7/43: The error 5010 is a "Scanner home position error" with this explanation: "The scanner unit cannot detect the home position, or the scanner unit warming-up is not performed properly at power-on. On the LCD, "Scanner is not operating correctly." is displayed."

See this post by @Łukasz and notice the scanner has a positioning strip. Maybe this strip is damaged or dirty?

Japaboy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
CANON MP-610
Hi, i have this printer, but the japanese version, and this problem can be solved by reassenting the
flex cable from the scanner to the logic board, check if the contacts in the flex cable are ok,
i had to repair it to work again.
I had to change this flex cable from a donor scanner, but when i made the disassembly of the scanner
i lost the position of one little spring, that i cant indentify where was it, can u help me ??
the scanner is working normally, but i know it belongs somewhere...

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-27 at 11.48.07.jpeg

Regards from Brazil

Last edited:

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I would like to thank you all for the help.

The culprit was the ribbon cable that slipt out of the FFC connector, probably it went unnoticed while reassembling the scanner for the first time

When I reopened the scanner i saw this:

IMG_0734.jpg

the ribbon cable was flying around!

So I just had to reinsert it and everything went fine. Please note that it is difficult to insert because it makes a strange turn on itself and is bent ninety degrees (please refer to the above picture ).

Also pay attention to the correct insertion direction, as explained in the second photograph

IMG_7714.JPG

For further reference please find below a picture of the connector

IMG_7712.JPG

Now, the printer was not running since 2015, and was lying teared apart in my room.

The cartridges will certainly be dry and will be changed immediately.

Will a printhead washing of the print head be necessary also?

I still have some left inktek ink from 2015, will it still be good?

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I guess you already have the service manual? From the service manual p. 7/43: The error 5010 is a "Scanner home position error" with this explanation: "The scanner unit cannot detect the home position, or the scanner unit warming-up is not performed properly at power-on. On the LCD, "Scanner is not operating correctly." is displayed."

See this post by @Łukasz and notice the scanner has a positioning strip. Maybe this strip is damaged or dirty?

Hi Peter, nice to hear you again :thumbsup

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi, i have this printer, but the japanese version, and this problem can be solved by reassenting the
flex cable from the scanner to the logic board, check if the contacts in the flex cable are ok,
i had to repair it to work again.
I had to change this flex cable from a donor scanner, but when i made the disassembly of the scanner
i lost the position of one little spring, that i cant indentify where was it, can u help me ??
the scanner is working normally, but i know it belongs somewhere...

View attachment 7876

Regards from Brazil

Hi Japaboy, thank you for the advice.

I'll be happy to help

Please find below a picture of the opened scanner

IMG_0726.jpg

That little spring for sure doesn't belong to the scanner unit.

I suppose that it comes from here

IMG_0728.jpg

or here

IMG_0729.jpg

I had a look at the part catalogue and there is no mention of such a spring

Regards from Sardinia

Last edited: