MP560 no pigment on nozzle test

themow

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
This is my dads printer and I bought him hobbicolor inks from ebay and hes been refilling using the german method for about 6 months. There has never been any maintenance done on the printer and I knew sooner or later there would be some issues. I have been reading for days and realize that the head may be clogged etc but Im not sure where to start. Theres also terminology that im not 100% clear on. The head is the black piece that the cartridges go into? that you can remove by lifting the gray bar? I have found zero writeups with pictures so thats why im posting. (sorry i hate cluttering forums) Im going to post some pictures.... well im not allowed....

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
themow,

Be patient when you do anything to the printer, that is the first golden rule ;)

Do not try and print anything, only nozzle checks until the good members on this forum help you sort it out ;)

There are lot's of posts in here about using windex or other cleaning liquids, I suggest you do a search for head cleaning. Do not try and remove the head until it becomes absolutely necessary as any head cleaning outside the machine carries a risk of damage.

My first thought would be to get some windex and attempt to unclog by a simple method...

Open the cover and wait until the head comes to rest in the centre of the printer.

Remove the pigment ink cart, I assume you are talking about the large black cart 520 PGBK or 220 depending on where you live.

Drop half a dozen drops of the windex from a syringe onto the pad on the head where the outlet from the cart normally sits.

Replace the cart and close the cover. Wait until the machine finishes it routine clean or purge or whatever the heck it does after a cart replacement :)

Now try a nozzle check.

If that does not clear it, repeat the procedure but this time as well as the above drop a few drops on the cleaning pad sponges which are at the very right hand side of the printheads travel inside the printer. Close the cover, allow the machine to finish it's dance and then leave it alone for a few hours. Do another nozzle check and report back ;)

There are other steps before attempting to take out the head and clean it so please be patient. Some have taken a few days to unclog but have eventually come back to full working order.

There is also the possibility that the cartridge needs purged, but try the above first. I am not an expert in cleaning but I'm sure others here will give you more help.

If you do not have Windex or an equivalent you can try distilled water but it is not as powerful.

And as a last piece of advice I'll say again - be patient and it will usually pay off!

themow

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i didnt know that the site announcements had a FAQ. Didnt mean to be the guy to post without looking!!!! Disregard will repost if needed after reading faq