MP500 again - purge problem?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Scanned image is somehow "side" view?
But it wasn't in previous scan for some reason...

I guess it is produced with CCD sensor because of great depth of field.
Maybe some additional info about scanner unit: model, make?.

Blue (or rather "aqua") hallo effect in bottom parts of shadows is also interesting.

Ł.

The scanner is a CCD scanner. It is the scanner part in the Canon MP970. I think it is the biggest A4 multifunctional Canon made. It was advertised as a photolab. It has got a 7 cartridge print head PGBK+ CcMmYBk. The scanner also scans 35 mm film strips and slides. I got it from a thrift store for DKK 50 = 8.82 USD = 6.71 Euro. It is in good working order, so that was a bargain. :D

When scanning 3D objects the scanner gives some side view, depending on where the object is placed on the glass platen.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
They also use to use swords and axes, but now they’ve gone metric.. :hugs :lol: :lol:
Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio.

-- Prince Hamlet, Great Dane.

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
The scanner is a CCD scanner. It is the scanner part in the Canon MP970. I think it is the biggest A4 multifunctional Canon made. It was advertised as a photolab. It has got a 7 cartridge print head PGBK+ CcMmYBk. The scanner also scans 35 mm film strips and slides. I got it from a thrift store for DKK 50 = 8.82 USD = 6.71 Euro. It is in good working order, so that was a bargain. :D

When scanning 3D objects the scanner gives some side view, depending on where the object is placed on the glass platen.

I realized that CCD scanners have different sensor design - it is not as wide as scanning area in CIS scanners. That explains "side view" phenomena, when object is placed far from center of scanning path.

If I ever got the MP980/990 or MG8150/8250 (even partially defective) at a similar price :rolleyes:

Ł.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes you are right. CCD scanners have complicated optical systems. The CIS scanners are much less complicated and cheaper, but are no good for scanning 3D objects.

By centering the small object on the glass platen I can avoid the "side view", but using the "side view effect" to add perspective to small 3D objects can also be an advantage.

Many older Canon printers do not officially support Windows 8, but they actually do. You can use a Windows update supplied driver or you can use a driver from Canon's website for an older Windows version. Compatibility mode is normally not necessary. You might be lucky to find a good old Canon printer at a thrift store or a flea market, sold because the owner assumes it will not work under Windows 8, as Canon supplies no Win 8 drivers. Good luck with the search :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I’ve had to use Photoshop 32 for quite some time now with my Epson scanner, not because of any O/S problems but more so because Photoshop 64 doesn’t support my twain scanner..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Does the Epson website have a newer 64 bit driver? I found a Win 8 64 bit driver for an Epson Perfection V33 scanner at the Epson website. The V33 is a good CCD scanner, that equals the Canon MP970, but having "everything" in one package is handy.

Does Photoshop 64 use its own drivers and supply no drivers for your scanner?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have the latest driver but my scanner is getting on a bit now, it’s a Perfection 4490 Photo.