Most stable dyes for use around essential oils

davidjsn

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi, I'm wanting to make labels on an A4 page that I will later cut down to size. I'm using these for products that have essential oils in them. The problem is that these oils can act a solvents. Laser printing is out as the oils dissolve laser materials right off. From reading here it looks like I will need a dye based printer. Would anyone have suggestions as to:

1. What standard dyes would possibly be most or least stable with the oils, and,
2. What brand of printer would be best or most economical for a hi res photo quality print given I would be using significant amounts of ink.

As I'm using this method as an initial stop gap before I decided on a larger capacity solution I want to keep the cost down. I'm thinking of a basic domestic printer. I can most easily buy Canon, Epson and Brother. Any advice would be appreciated.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
davidjsn

1. What standard dyes would possibly be most or least stable with the oils, and,
2. What brand of printer would be best or most economical for a hi res photo quality print given I would be using significant amounts of ink.
Most standard dye ink seems to be stable with essential oils on paper.
The bigger problem is the paper that you decide to use, as the oils will leave an obvious stain.
If you buy inkjet glossy self adhesive paper for your labels, this type of surface hides the oil stains extremely well and would be very good for labelling. :)
Epson / Canon printers that can use refillable cartridges are the best option to use for Hi Res and economical use ok.. ;)