More tweaking and testing

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
OK I promise this will be my last "look what I printed" post for a while but as a newbie I'm entirely taken by what this CR-10S can churn out.

My biggest problem at the moment is bed adhesion, but after a few false starts I printed another test piece...

0.2mm, 200C nozzle temp, 50C bed temp, 50mm/sec. no retraction no infill, and spiralise outer contour selected.

This is not a big model but the detail I think is great for 0.2 resolution considering the cheapo filament that came with the printer. The photos don't do it justice, and I think there is room for improvement but it's sharp, no layer probs and now I know the extruder is performing well too.

IMG_1601.JPG IMG_1603.JPG pyramid2.JPG

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
OK I promise this will be my last "look what I printed" post for a while
Um... that's the whole point of this forum! Keep posting your pics and experiences!

I think is great for 0.2 resolution
Wow, I agree!

My biggest problem at the moment is bed adhesion,
What's your process? I've tried Home Depot glass, hair spray, glue stick, etc., but nothing works as well for me (at least on a cold bed) as just squishing into a nice layer of blue painter's tape. Sometimes if I'm not getting great adhesion I'll wipe it down with a tiny bit of alcohol, but then it almost sticks too well :)

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Hi Nifty, I'm starting a new thread on bed adhesion as I think it will be useful for others to read as time goes on and more join the 3D addiciton ;)

Two other things that I still wondering about are:

1 How to prevent the extruded filament that is pushed out from the nozzle just before the print starts from interfereing with the first layer? I've thought about adding a skirt to all my prints so that the excess filament is away from the actual first layer. Some versions of Cura start the printer off by priniting a strip along the X axis before mvong to the print start position, I assume this is a way of dealing with the excess filament.

2 I'm finding that with the bed levelled the nozzle actually makes contact with the bed when it does Autohome and then goes back up before starting to move to the print position. Not sure if that is the norm?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Here is the thirteenth answer to your problem, first your platform is not levelled properly, if the nozzle is sitting on the bed in the home position, most likely you have a bow in the middle of the glass and the edges are higher.

What are you using as a base for your prints? nothing, Brim, or Raft, I get 99.9% results with Raft, and yes it does waste a little bit of filament, but my results are judged on a successful print...

P.S. I love my nozzle starting off with a snotty nose... :D

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Well if I level the the bed and check it's OK on the LH front corner the nozzle still hits the bed briefly on an autohome then goes back up a bit, it's like a bounce.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It’s probably not hitting the bed at all, its stops when it hits the Z Axes micro switch... ;)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I've thought about adding a skirt to all my prints

I'm a HUGE fan of skirts (3D printer kind)! I have one for EVERY print. It allows me to prime the nozzle with a clean bead of filament running out at temp, see if there are any problems before the print begins, etc.

My CURA settings are:

upload_2017-12-10_13-33-36.png

This allows me to have a decent length of skirt on big and small prints.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Thanks Nifty, lots to learn yet - my learning curve tonight was Brims Rafts & Skirts ;)