Mono laser... Any recommendation?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
It feels like I'm selling my soul here but for work purposes it's becoming clear that a laser printer would be a good call for certain jobs that I have to do around here so I'm looking for a recommendation on a reasonable mono laser printer.

Primary usage would be with labels including integrated label A4 sheets so it's low volume work but I don't want to be buying something that will require dumping in a year or be full of bloatware, etc... or have "handy" little limitations like drum replacement required annually, etc...

Not bothered about toner refilling, so that's not an issue either...

Basically, good quality, low maintenance, reliable unit that isn't going to milk me dry on consumables later...

Suggestions?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
websnail said:
Not bothered about toner refilling, so that's not an issue either...

Basically, good quality, low maintenance, reliable unit that isn't going to milk me dry on consumables later...

Suggestions?
I went with a Samsung printer simply because every time I needed to buy a new replacement toner cartridge
I got a toner drum for free with every purchase and thats a real saving.:thumbsup

They even take the old used toner cartridge back for free.. :)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@The Hat: Thanks for that...

So, nobody else got any suggestions?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I've always gone with the "high-price-spread" - HP. Never been disappointed, but there are certainly other brands that are more reasonably priced. If you have any special needs (i.e. card stock, envelopes, etc) and you have a store nearby with demo models on the floor you can do what I did. Take several of these items with you and test the printers on the floor starting with the least expensive and moving up til you find the one that does what you want well. Cheaper laser printers (including HP) have a problem with the materials I wanted to print on. A few of the inadequacies with really low end laser printers are inadeqate space the paper feeds through, inadequate heat to fuse the print on thicker stock or envelopes, no straight paper path to print envelopes without crunching them, no fold down tray in the back to catch multiple copies that require a straight paper path, no fold down upper tray to lay a stack of paper for printing special forms like several checks. If all you want to print is the typical copy paper and labels these problems aren't issues for you.

I once read that it is unwise to print a partial sheet of labels and then run the same sheet through again to print the remainder of labels on the sheet. Apparently the heat that is used to set the toner can loosen a label on a sheet that is run through several times. The loose label can adhere to something in the feed path and cause a jam that is very difficult to clear. For that reason I use my inkjet printer for printing a few file folder labels. I can then print additional labels from the same sheet until they are all used up without the risk of having a label come loose inside the printer.

I use my laser printer for all my business related text printing and full sheets of address labels. I also print envelopes - both for the address to which the dnvelope is to be sent and the return address. For B/w text printing on a preprinted invitation it is much faster than an inkjet. What the Hat mentioned is right - buying a printer that uses a cartridge that includes the drum and toner may seem very expensive, but it is very convenient. I've never compared the cost per letter size page of text between inkjets with refills and laser printer with a replacement cartridge, but I believe that the price per page is very reasonable with the lser printers.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There is wisdom in what fotofreek said about running sheet labels through a laser printer more than once
after using one or two labels from the sheet is correct but for the wrong reason.

Its the backing sheet that causes the trouble and not the remaining labels,
because the non stick surface of the backing sheet melts and sticks to the toner drum which later renders the drum useless.

I use my Samsung laser with its straight path for printing invitations on 320 gm. Alabaster cards
and it can also take 110 gm. A4 paper in its normal feed tray (8 years old) and only half the price of an HP.. :)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the input guys... Not sure I want to sell my soul to HP just yet but food for thought on the try it out first approach...

... and yes was aware of the label thing but appreciate the reminder, as I'd forgotten the whys/etc...

Appreciated... :)

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
I was interested in this Brother Brother HL-2270DW monochrome laser printer. It offer duplex printing and wireless printing. But I am not too sure if it print on envelope as I have not read the full specification. But you might go explore to see if this suit your needs.

Spitfire

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
for monochrome I would also go for Brother HL-2270DW, seems to me its the cheapest on the long run

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just feeding back on this Brother HL-2270DW unit as I've had it now for over a year...

To be honest it works but the toner cost is exorbitant and frankly, it's like so many things in the inkjet world, the printers are just not designed to last...

I've had to send the thing off for warranty repair once when I tried to replace the toner although which sensor was at fault I couldn't say... and we're not up for another toner cartridge after less than half of it's supposed page count.

I've since switched to an old HP laserjet that's creaking but has a much longer duty cycle and reliable compatibles that will make it much more cost effective.

Overall it seems it's worth looking for older units that are being sold off by schools or businesses who just renew their hardware every few years without heed to functionality. The HP mono line in particular seem to be considerably better than most other brands.

Anyhoo... thought it might be useful for anyone else who is considering similar decisions as I was last year.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Just feeding back on this unit as I've had it now for over a year...

To be honest it works but the toner cost is exorbitant and frankly, it's like so many things in the inkjet world, the printers are just not designed to last...

I've had to send the thing off for warranty repair once when I tried to replace the toner although which sensor was at fault I couldn't say... and we're not up for another toner cartridge after less than half of it's supposed page count.
Have you mentioned the make and model of the laser printer that has given you fits and spells? T'would be nice for all to know so as to avoid or suggest. :old