Reaction score
Or I suppose you could just use your eyes......... :cool:

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Actually, it has the advantage that you don't have to pull a cart to check its ink level. Many of us pull carts to check the ink levels, but I have never been completely happy when doing this, as it has the potential to cause an ink delivery problem if the sponge/filter is partially clogged and the "ink link" is broken by pulling the cart.

It's a clever way to use a physical property that changes when the ink level drops and which can be measured without pulling the cart.

Speedy1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Grandad35 said:
Actually, it has the advantage that you don't have to pull a cart to check its ink level. Many of us pull carts to check the ink levels, but I have never been completely happy when doing this, as it has the potential to cause an ink delivery problem if the sponge/filter is partially clogged and the "ink link" is broken by pulling the cart.

It's a clever way to use a physical property that changes when the ink level drops and which can be measured without pulling the cart.
OK Grandad.. I've never had any problems pulling carts to take a peak, but I was only joking anyway..
How do you feel about re-filling the carts in-situ? I was advised against this by by ink supply company.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Speedy1 said:
How do you feel about re-filling the carts in-situ? I was advised against this by by ink supply company.
What happens when the fill hole is opened while the exit port isn't sealed? Since I generally get about 1 drop/second from the exit port when I do this, I assume that the ink pickup will be flooded while you refill. At best, this will just make a small mess when the cart is finally pulled. At worst, it could allow ink to leak around the grommet seal. If you took very long to refill, I could see it allowing ink to pass through the print head and to flood the "cleaning sponge". In an extreme case, I suppose that this ink could even cause cross-contamination with other carts.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Would an additional small fill hole upset the dynamic?
Could a needle sized hole on the sponge or reservoir side be used to refill in situ or would the additional air be enough to start the tank to empty?

EDIT:
You can't say I won't put my money where my mouth is.
Using an old print head and holder, I fed ink into a cart with a hole(reservoir side) just big enough for a needle.
The ink poured through the cart outlet and print head like sh*t through a goose.
Scratch that idea.

Speedy1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
jackson said:
EDIT:
You can't say I won't put my money where my mouth is.
Using an old print head and holder, I fed ink into a cart with a hole(reservoir side) just big enough for a needle.
The ink poured through the cart outlet and print head like sh*t through a goose.
Scratch that idea.
:lol:
I use rubber stoppers on mine. I wonder if sticking the needle straight through the rubber would work...:/

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
My needles are blunt.I know they won't go through rubber.
They will go through that glue tack stuff, but the needle picks up some of the material and blocks it.
No problem if you are adding ink (except that a little bit of this stuff is now in the reservoir) but not so good if you were trying to suck some ink out.
When I get my nerve back I will try it with water instead of ink.

EDIT:
I tried it with "UHU tac" adhesive putty (Staples).
The needle passes through it easily enough, but the material doesn't cling to the sides of the needle, so the water still runs through the head.
I need some kind of 'Star Trek-ish' material that lets the needle pass through, yet immediately forms a seal around it..

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
You can buy the silicone rubber sheet that is used on insulin vial caps to allow a sharp needle to puncture it and then be pulled out without any leakage. However, without a way to pull out the air from the ink chamber at exactly the same rate as the ink is injected, the ink that you inject will just be pushed directly into the sponge. Your goose will develop a bad case of diarrhea.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I just don't get it. With the safe and simple screw to close and open the hole and with the easy removal of the cartridge itself, why some go to great lengths to try and refill the cartridge with other means that are prone to failure and complications? ? ? ? ?