Mixed up CLI-8 microships. Are there markings identifying the chips?

Zaxxon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I mixed up chips from 3 different colors of CLI-8 cartridges. I've noticed markings on the bottom of the chips that read:

eK5, eJ5, aR1

Anyone know how to tell which is which? I'm really at wits end.

Thanks,
Zaxxon

:/

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I don't have any experience that indicates a direct correlation between the numbering found on the chips and the color which they relate to. I suspect that the color identity is written into the memory of the chip, perhaps even after the chip is mounted on a cartridge and the cartridge label is attached.

I think that one could just do some trial mounting, but one doesn't want to go putting a cyan cartridge into the yellow slot of a print head, does one? So the trial would have to be to put a chip TEMPORARILY on the yellow cart and try it in the print head's yellow slot. If the printer rejects it, set that chip aside and try the next chip, etc. When a chip is accepted for the yellow cartridge, move on to the next color. Temporary mounting of the chip would be with a bit of the tacky photo mounting stuff or such.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Following Canonfodder's correct logic, I don't see a problem placing any one of the color carts in any slot in the printhead to see if the chip is accepted as long as you don't do any printing. You could then determine which chip belongs in each color slot. Since I don't have a chipped cart printer I don't know if the rejection occurs after the cover is closed and the printhead returns to the parked position. In that case, my suggestion would be problematic as the printer might run a cleaning cycle with the color carts in the wrong place.

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I thought about putting carts in different slots, but am afraid that some contamination would occur, even if you didn't let a cleaning cycle happen. The exit port filter of a cart does have some ink ready to come out and it does come in direct contact with the printhead input screen when the cart is installed.

I thought of using a purged and dried dummy cart to carry the chip to different printhead locations, perhaps even with the exit port filter pushed up in to prevent contact, but that is just as much trouble to do as the first suggestion of using a color cart, always in its own slot, to try the different chips.