Missing Block in Canon i860 Nozzle Print Check

usnret

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

When I print the nozzle print check for my i860 there are several blocks that are not printed - the 6BK block and block F. I compared my printout to the one listed here http://www.nifty-stuff.com/gallery/inkjet-refill-1/canon_nozzle_check_pattern.
I am not very mechanically inclined - being more on the admin side of computing. Is it the ink delivery system from the 6bk to the head that is the problem? BTW - 6bk cartridge is 1/2 full.

I've read so much about cleaning printheads today that my head is reeling. Between cleaning solutions, to soaking printheads overnight to using compressed air to clean nozzles, I'd just like to know where to start. I wanted to try something before I order a new printhead...

Thanks -

D. C. - usnret

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I don't have the nozzle test printout in front of me - always start with the simplest thing it might be. Did you run a cleaning routine in the printer software? Do that and then do another nozzle test. If that doesn't do the trick, do another cleaning/nozzle check. Still a problem? do ONE deep cleaning. Still not getting a good pattern? replace the offending cart(s), run a cleaning, and see if you now get a good pattern with the black cart replaced. Even OEM carts can malfunction and feed poorly. Only after you've done these steps should you move on to the next simplest fix which is to put a piece of toweling paper in the bottom of a container, soak it with very warm water, and sit the print head on it for a few hours. You can change the towel and water and do it a few more times. You can also take an eyedropper or syringe and carefully drip a bit of warm water into the intake ports on top of the printhead. Just don't get the contacts or board wet. Put it all back together and see how it works. Still not there? repeat the saturated toweling paper, but this time use water mixed with isopropyl alcohol and the old formula ammoniated windex . Repeate and drip some into the intake ports. You should eventually get clear cleaning fluid running through the head and little or no ink on the towel. Still no success? Time to move on! These printheads have a finite life. Could also be an electronic glitch or poor contact, or a damaged ribbon cable. If you are using OEM inks you might as well move on to the ip4200, a similar printer in the newest line of Pixmas. If you are using aftermarket carts or refilling, try to find an ip4000 or ip5000.

usnret

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
fotofreek,
Thank you for your reply! Yes - I did the regular cleanings, and several deep cleans. I've done panos' cleaning 3-4 times. I am starting to see just a tad of the pattern on the 6bk printout. I I haven't tried warm water. Just room temp water. I am using RO water - BTW. I will continue with the warm soaks as I haven't tried that.

R - D.C.