MIS Inks: Excellent Results on the ip8500 without ICC Profiling

Correzpond

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I thought it may help others using MIS Inks if I share the settings Ive found through much trial and error for use on my ip8500 which don't require the use of a dedicated ICC profile (not to say of course, that dedicated profiling may not produce even better results!).

These settings give very good results on quite a range of glossy photo papers including Canon Glossy Photo Paper, Kodak Everyday Picture Paper & DSE Glossy Photo Paper.

A good reference document is also the Canon article "ICC Profiles Guide" available at http://homepage.mac.com/renard/ls/Canon_ICC_Profile_Guide.pdf

There is a further advantage that these settings can be accessed from any photo printing program, & not only from ICC aware programs such as Photoshop.

The basic instructions follow 'Printing Adobe RGB Images with Extended Color Gamut' in the Canon "ICC Profiles Guide":

If using Photoshop, in 'Print with Preview' select 'Printer Color Management' or 'Let Printer Determine Colors'. If using programs which arent ICC aware, just go to Printer Settings.

In the ip8500 Printer Settings:

Select Media Type 'Glossy Photo Paper', Print Quality 'Custom' ('Fine', 'Diffusion'), Color Adjustment 'Manual':

----> Now the really important settings:

Color Balance 'Magenta -5, Yellow +5', All others '0', ICM 'ON' (This latter ICM setting is ** very important **, and goes against the recommendations of many others but is consistent with Canon's own recommendations in the "ICC Profiles Guide").

Other settings as per your preference ------> Print!

If you also use other combinations of printer settings (e.g. ICM 'Off' for use with dedicated ICC profiles called within Photoshop 'Let Photoshop Determine Settings') it will save some time in future use to save these settings as a 'Printer Profile' within the ip8500 settings.

Interestingly, I discovered after determining these settings that they are quite similar to what Kodak recommend for the ip8500 and Kodak Everyday Picture Paper (presumably using Canon original inks) at:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuer...=Canon+iP8500&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=3351

This document recommends manual printer adjustment and Magenta -10 Yellow +10, and this is where users may wish to tweak a little according to individual preference and the actual paper being used. In fact what surprised me here - if anything - was that I found that I didn't need to dial the Magenta down as far with MIS Inks as Kodak was suggesting with OEM inks.

I would be interested in hearing the experience of others using these or similar settings.