MG6650 and 5B00 code. Can I clear it ?

Brian L

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650S
I have tried the Hard Resets found on Google/Youtube but the code 5B00 still persists.
Is there anything I can try to clear it. I do not have access to Windows, I use Applemac.
Thanks
Brian.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Is there anything I can try to clear it.
The Problem you have is your ink absorbers are declared full and no amount of hard resets will clear the issue, not to mention what happens to your waste ink !

There is a reset available for sale on EBay and that will reset your “D value” count back to 0%, here is a thread from @PeterBJ with the web page on it, scan through it and check if its suitable for your printer,..

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/mg5650-stuck-with-error-6000.14540/post-126099

Brian L

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650S
Thanks The Hat, I have cleaned the ink pads, did it a little while ago when it said they were full so they are OK. I will have at look at at your other suggestions.
Cheers
Brian.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Did you take the printer apart to clean the ink absorber pads? The ink absorber pads are pieces of a felt like material deep inside the printer at the bottom of the casing. Maybe you cleaned the purge pads instead? The purge pads are small porous plates less than a postage stamp in size. Here is a post showing a set of purge pads.

Brian L

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650S
Ah, yes it was the purge pads that I removed and cleaned. If I do some dismantling then can I see the felt pads and clean them and will it make a difference ?
Thanks
Brian.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
will it make a difference ?
Not unless you FIRST clear the 5B00 error code to get the printer to function again.

There are two schools of thought on waste ink pads marked as full.

1) Clean the waste ink diaper pads. This is a simple but laborious process to get to them and then to reassemble the printer. It is recommended you take images of each and every part about to be removed, including the orientation of the part, and then keep the parts separated and numbered to make it easier to reassemble in order. Cleaning the pads with water is very messy. Let the pads dry but not all the way. A little bit of moisture in the pads allows them to be stretched better for refitting. Allow at least 2 days for the process, ie several hours for dissemble and then several hours for assembly. The overnight is for letting the pads dry out. YMMV

2) Leave the pads alone. Members have been able to go another cycle on the ink reset counter without issue. Still, it may be wise to place the printer on a tray of some sort in case the pads overflow and ink leaks out.

Bottom line - first clear the error then worry about the pads. Or get a new printer. It's up to you.

Brian L

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650S
Thanks Stratman,
I can't get the counter to reset so machine is junk at the moment.
A replacement is the quickest and easiest option. Bin and move on.
Cheers
Brian.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I can't get the counter to reset
You aren't able to enter Service Mode to be able to use the Service Tool, cannot get the Service Tool or use it successfully?

Brian L

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650S
From what I have read, the service tool only works with Windows and we have AppleMac.
I have tried other methods from Google search but not one worked, error code was always there.
Cheers
Brian.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Couldn’t you borrow a laptop Windows computer from a friend or relative ?.
It wouldn’t take much time or hassle to install the reset tool on that laptop, connect it by USB cable to your printer and proceed to reset the waste ink counter. Of course, first of all you must be able to put your printer in service mode. If not, the reset tool won’t work