MG5350 Wi fi and USB connections and Scanner facility

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250 and MG5350,
Since Vodafone kindly supplied me with a new modem, I am now able to connect to my printer wirelessly. I set this up following the instructions on the printer screen and using the password provided for me by Vodafone. However, as The Hat is well aware!, it's dropped the wi fi connection and I've lost the password. But my new modem has a WPS button and I have tried to connect using this but it gets so far and then will not connect.

However, what I want to do is to have the scanner facility on my printer window which is available on my wife's computer - all connected by a LAN. How can I get the scanner facility to appear on my printer window, as it does on my wife's computer. The USB connection is still in place so in theory I should have it, but it only appears if I use Air Print via wi fi.

Thanks, as always, in advance.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
it's dropped the wi fi connection
Dropping a wifi connection may be just a temporary occurrence due to electrical interference. All you nee to do is either wait for a reconnection (+/- reboot of wifi router, computer and/or printer). Consider changing the location of the printer and/or wifi router for better connection/transmission.

I've lost the password
Wifi routers typically come with the user name and password on the wifi router itself. If not, or if you customized the password then either call the supplier of the device for the password or reset method, or, reset the user name and password on your own. This is often done by using a paper clip pushed into a tiny hole on the device for a period of seconds. Google your device for ways to reset the password. Once reset then the device will have a default password which is usually found on the internet as well.

WPS button and I have tried
You are not alone. I've tries this a couple times with other people's devices and it has never worked for me. I've never used it on any of my devices, instead I prefer to set things up myself.

How can I get the scanner facility to appear on my printer window
I tried to find your printer model's User Manual but could not. If you have it then read up on networking and scanning in your manual.

Not every Canon printer model in the past allowed scanning across a network. Chances are your printer is capable but just needs to be installed / set up.

You may need to install the printer on your computer first. This may or may not require you to connect the printer directly to your computer to do the install. Hopefully the software installation will find the printer over your network. You may need to manually install the Canon IJ Network utility for the network to be recognized. There may or may not be a Canon IJ Scanner utility that needs to be installed as well. Hopefully these two apps, if both are needed for your printer model, will be automatically installed - with or without you clicking on them during the installation process.

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
As always, thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions. One suggestion from the internet was to reset the printers. I did this and, as you can see from the dialogue box, I came up with three! It appears that one is for the USB connection, one is shared with my wife's computer and one is via wi-fi (it says air-print). You can see that it has re-connected via wi-fi and has the scanner tag. So, in the end, I didn't have to reset the wi fi connection at all, it appears to have reset itself! No - I don't really understand it either, but there it is.

Thanks again.

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 09.29.53.png

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
WARNING : Summer Rant ahead !

Canon's implementation of wifi connection for their printers is the perfect example of surrealistic sadism translated to bits. Either they enjoy torturing the user or maybe the person writing the software is the dumb nephew of a high ranked executive in the corporation.

For particular reasons I change every year my contract of cable/phone. Thus, every year I got a new router with a different SSID. With my mobile phone and photocamera connecting to the new router is as simple as selecting it form the available networks and entering the password (WPS has never worked for me either). Total time to set up the new router: ten seconds.
Canon Pro10 wifi setup, or rather the IJ Network tool software, is unable to change the network once setup is complete. I tried in the past, to no avail. You need to reinstall the driver again, setting the Wifi connection with a USB cable temporarily connected to the printer. It's tedious, annoying and complete nonsense. Could you explain to me Mr. Canon why a cheapo Huawei phone switches networks batting an eye while your 600 Euro printer needs all this bullshit ?.
IMHO this is the only serious flaw in those otherwise amazing printers.

Luckily, my Maxify has the option to connect using a direct Wifi setup from printer to computer, bypassing external routers. It’s always a mess to setup the connection, but at least you don't have to dot it again if you change your router for any reason.

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
You've cheered me up no end, Artur5! I find both Canon's online manuals and their set-up procedures on the printer screen complicated, tiresome and extremely poorly written. Seeking the same solution and reading through the modem manual proved a lot easier, as, I must say, did the posts on this forum.

Thank you, all!