MG5350 problem with cartridge carrier

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250 and MG5350,
I've a little niggle with my MG5350, which otherwise is superb for its age. Occasionally when I replace a cartridge I get the error message that the wrong print head is fitted. I know this is to do with the way the head sits in the carrier and I've taken it out and refitted it a couple of times but I can't get rid of the error message. I have a feeling that there is a particular sequence to doing this and that I'm not following it, to do with unplugging and plugging in the power cable at the right time.

Could you put me straight on this?

Many thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Could you put me straight on this?
It could be trying to tell you that the print head is on the way out, so try removing the carts and close the top lid then unplug the printer from the wall socket, wait 5 minutes and then plug it back in and turn it on, at this point you shouldn’t get any error messages. (No carts installed)

Install the carts one by one closing the top lid each time, try this till all the carts are installed, you might find this works or it may fail on just the one cart, then replace that cart to receive no errors..

Are you using OEM carts and Chips or aftermarket… ?

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks as always for your help. I followed your instructions but, alas, no-go. However, this might help. When I plug the printer back in and switch on, the carrier sequence operates and the carrier moves to the left, there are then five loud clicks from the LHS of the machine, then the carrier returns and the error message appears. Is this a mechanical fault that I can fix?

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK, thanks for the link. I followed the instruction and I am assuming that the timing strip is the clear plastic strip between the chassis and the drive belt. It was, indeed, a little grubby but, alas, the five knocks and the error message are still present.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
the five knocks and the error message are still present.
So did you get the error message when you first turned the print on or after you had installed the all the carts…Again are you using OEM carts ?..

P.S. I forgot to include this Pic…
timing.JPG click to enlarge..

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, I got the message when I first turned on the machine before installing the carts. The carrier went through the same routine of moving to the left, making five clonks, then bringing up the error message. Apologies - yes I am using OEM's.

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, I got the message when I first turned on the machine before installing the carts. The carrier went through the same routine of moving to the left, making five clonks, then bringing up the error message. Apologies - yes I am using OEM's.
Well, first, Sir, I really owe you an apology. I did something that I should have done earlier. I removed the print head and examined it under a good light and I noticed a fair amount of black ink around it. I cleaned this off, and took special care with the double strip underneath the head. Replaced it and it is now working perfectly.

However, thanks to you, I now know how to locate and clean the timing strip - another little bit to add to my printer knowledge.

I had thought I might have to replace the print head, as you intimated, and found one for £80 on Amazon and £20 on eBay. I looked for a replacement printer and found the TS 6350, which is pretty nearly as can be the same as my MG5350. £180 on Amazon and £104 in our local superstore. Tempted to buy it anyway at that price!

Thank you again for all your help and apologies for possibly wasting your time!!

John W