MG5350 error - incompatible print head

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250 and MG5350,
I know this is a bit of a chestnut with Canon printers but would appreciate your advice.

My venerable MG5350 has sometimes displayed the incompatible head message but I've always fixed it by taking the cartridges out, removing and cleaning the head and replacing it. This time, though, it won't have it. Received wisdom is to try a factory reset but I've tried the Power and Stop button five times routine and it won't reset. What's my next move?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Most likely the printhead has suffered an electronic damage. The incorrect printhead message is often caused by a defective printhead. Electronic errors in Canon printheads are sometimes intermittent before becoming permanent.

If you are very lucky the error is caused by dirty contact pads on the printhead or dirty contact springs in the printhead carriage. You could try cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol or an electronics contact cleaner.

But most likely you will need a new print head. It looks like they are still in store at C1 supplies. Only buy printheads from regular dealers of Canon spare parts. Avoid "refurbished" printheads from eBay, Amazon, Alibaba and similar. These are most often defective printheads that have been cleaned to look like new.

Here is a clip from the service manual for the MG5200 series printers that are similar to the MG5300 series, click to enlarge.

MG5200 U052.jpg

Last edited:

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks, Peter. As I would expect from this forum, a sound reply. I'll give the cleaning a go but will not buy a replacement head since they are actually more than the cost of a new printer!

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK Peter. I followed your advice and cleaned the contacts on both the head and the printer with alcohol and the machine is now working again. Many thanks!