MG5150 blank pages , with new printhead same problem.

whiteraven

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG5150
Hi,
my printer pixma MG5150 stopped working with error message "Incorrect printhead model" few months ago. I was googled many times and mesaured signals, and I did found the problem. EEprom from toshiba inside printhead was down. Ok, I bought on ebay another QY6-0073 printhead, installed it and result was that printer recognises printhead, starts up correctly, but prints nothing...output was only blank pages...

I said..maybe bad new printhead from china. Today i recieved second new printhead from e-bay, and printer prints with the same result.. no image on all colors...absolutely nothing, only blank pages.

Can You please give me some tips how to diagnose which signal to the printhead is missing, by this symptoms?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
When a Canon print head fails electrically it can damage the logic board. A logic board that has been damaged by a defective print head can damage a new print head. So replacing a defective print head is a gamble, and I cannot tell the odds for success.

Sadly a damaged logic board does not always give error messages that could warn against replacing the print head.

If you test a print head that has been damaged by a defective logic board by inserting it in another printer the logic board in this other printer might also be damaged. So swapping print heads between printers for troubleshooting is very risky.

This post has a link
to the a simplified service manual for the MG5100 series printers. Sadly the server is not always on line. You could try checking it later.

Your printer uses the QY6-0073 print head. This print head is also used in other printers like the iP3600. Here is a post with a link to a technical reference that includes the pin out for the QY6-0073 print head. sadly the link is dead or if you are lucky the server is only temporarily unavailable. You could try checking it later.

In some Canon service manuals it is recommended that both the print head and the logic board is replaced in case of a print head failure. I think that yet another print head and a logic board, if you can find one, will far exceed the value of the printer. Sadly I think the printer is a total loss.