MG 8220 refill question

Jake2030

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Received a mg8220. I have ordered some purged 220/221 canon carts with the chip,also ordered a chip resetter. It might be a short period of time before I need to install these cartridges since I will use the cartridges sent with the printer first. Should I go ahead and put ink in these 220/221 carts and store them?,or just leave them dry?

Second question, I wiil be using the cannon chip. Does this thing measure the ink level accurately? Since these cartridges are opaque, IF I did not get a cartridge completely full would it tell me it was low accurately. I did not know if it went on a cycle count or some other method to assume the amount of ink left.

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Once you reset the chip, it will think the cartridge is full, even if it isn't, and will start counting from there. That's why it is advisable not to wait with refilling until the printer says the cartridge is empty. I always refill when there's one bar left in the ink level indicator. When one cartridge is up for a refill, I refill all of them (this prevents wasting ink from various cleaning cycles).

The 220/221 are not opaque as far as I know. Your printer takes 225/226. I would recommend using the 220/221 since it's much easier to refill these but you need to transplant the chips nfrom 225/226 cartridges, otherwise the printer won't recognize them.

Depending on how fast you want to be up and running again after your current set runs out of ink you should decide whether you want to already fill the 220/221 cartridges. I would leave them empty until I needed them.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Jake2030 said:
Received a mg8220. I have ordered some purged 220/221 canon carts with the chip,also ordered a chip resetter. It might be a short period of time before I need to install these cartridges since I will use the cartridges sent with the printer first. Should I go ahead and put ink in these 220/221 carts and store them?,or just leave them dry?

Second question, I wiil be using the cannon chip. Does this thing measure the ink level accurately? Since these cartridges are opaque, IF I did not get a cartridge completely full would it tell me it was low accurately. I did not know if it went on a cycle count or some other method to assume the amount of ink left.
When you receive your empty 221/220 carts just go ahead and reset the chips and fill them up in your own good time.

It would be good for you to have the time to master the refilling technique before you need to use them
and not be under as pressure to refill quickly, slow is the key to good refilling.

Once you have filled the carts, please dont be temped to over fill them,
over filling achieves nothing but bigger problems later.

Youve nothing to worry about regarding your ink levels either,
it will behave just like a new cartridge will and let you know when its time
to change your cartridge with the low ink sign (Yellow Triangle).

Remember under filling is far safer then overfilling, just as long as there is ink in the reservoir side of your cartridge
it is safe to use and wont damage your print head.

If you need to brush up on how to refill your new 220/221 carts then here is a link for you to review.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=40766#p40766