What's it all about, Alfie?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
In NYC last week. That's me...
Congratulations Turbguy on your lovely debut.. :hugs Question:- we could find you easy with the red arrow but how the hell did you find yourself in all that crowd…:thumbsup

A Feckin long way to go for a bit of heat…:lol:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Wait. What? Really!?!?!

Man, that's spectacular!! SUPER congrats!!!

:bow
:thumbsup

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
BTW, are you gonna give us more details about the trip, the event, your part, etc. etc. etc???

(please)

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
BTW, are you gonna give us more details about the trip, the event, your part, etc. etc. etc???

(please)
It was a 4 night trip for me and the wife to midtown Manhattan, staying in the Park Central Hotel across the street from Carnegie Hall. Three rehearsals in the hotel and a final sound/rehearsal check in the hall before the performance. The ensemble was a formation of 14 invited choirs from around the country. 290 voices and an orchestra performed Joseph M. Martin's NYC premier of "Christmas Dreams". Martin was the director.

I was a Bass 2 (the lowest part). Easier to locate those bottom notes on the staff! We get to resolve a lot of chords, too.

Flew directly from LAR to LGA (with a stop in DEN) and back. TSA in LAR is REALLY easy (only 24 other people to board at the single gate). Short term parking is a 15 second walk to the terminal door. Long term parking is about 60 seconds. Both are free. An NYC agent arranged everything, and it went off like clockwork.

Took in Central Park (amazing), "The Book of Mormon" (hilarious), and the 9/11 museum and memorial. Rode the Subway. Ate at great deli's. Tried, but couldn't get in to Colbert's Tonight Show. Construction and Black Chevy Suburbans (Ubers) were everywhere, but NEVER saw a pick-up truck! Not Wyoming...and 7200 feet lower, too.

An audio file?? A preview of the work can be found on Youtube, albeit with a much smaller choir. It's actually not a very challenging work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4hOmIaMCiA
With 290 voices filling the hall, we sounded AWESOME!! What acoustics! An experience of a lifetime...

The wife says she now has something to add to my obituary.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
It was a 4 night trip for me and the wife to midtown Manhattan,
Thank you for sharing your memorable experience with us Turbguy, (Me anyway I don’t get out much), a day in the Big smoke is something to behold and remember, O’ and the subway, because you wouldn’t catch me on a Bronco if I ever visited Laramie..:)
You can take the man out of Wyoming and put him in NY, but his heart with always be in Wyoming, there’s no place like home for Christmas…:hugs

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Thank you for sharing your memorable experience with us Turbguy, (Me anyway I don’t get out much), a day in the Big smoke is something to behold and remember, O’ and the subway, because you wouldn’t catch me on a Bronco if I ever visited Laramie..:)
You can take the man out of Wyoming and put him in NY, but his heart with always be in Wyoming, there’s no place like home for Christmas…:hugs

You welcome.

It was actually about 15 degrees F cooler in NYC than in Laramie during that time. The very friendly, bundled-up locals keep asking how I and the wife (and the others from my choir) withstood the chill with just sweatshirts. Wusses, you gotta be tough...

No need to get on a steed here (unless you want to). It really hurts when they step on your feet (or when you get bucked off). A lot of them are"prairie ornaments", anyhow.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
No need to get on a steed here (unless you want to). It really hurts when they step on your feet (or when you get bucked off). A lot of them are"prairie ornaments", anyhow.
Peoples perceptions can be so wide of the mark, myths and magic that is this time of the years, Hmm, so I better put away my spurs.. :hugs