May need to replace my poorly MP620, any suggestions?

ajw1100

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
My MP620 is not well, and there are no responses to my post here:

nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8509 (apparently I am not allowed to insert URL's or smileys being a newbie) :-( Headed: Newbie with clicking Pixma MP620.

So I can only assume that either no one has come across the problem before or there is no remedy. My brother cringed when he heard it and said it sounded like an old football ratchet. At the moment it's still working fine but may not have long to live.

Things change very fast in the computer world so am hoping some kind soul can suggest an alternative inkjet printer. My requirements are.
As much Under 100. as I can get!
Colour and Black and White.
WiFi
Use of third party cartridges, Rite Inks used at present but perhaps refilling my own when I find out how!
Print, Scan, Copy, duplex printing, photo printing. And, come to think about it another MP620 would do fine. Err, I don't think they don't make it any longer so what would be the replacement printer now?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Regards

Alan.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
This is a long shot. 1. Have you tried pulling power cord out whilst printer is switched on and with the lid up test whether you can move the print head carriage from side to side and reproduce your noise. 2. Have you checked the clear timing strip. It runs along the back of the print carriage. If dirty clean carefully with a moist Q tip with some distilled water for starters.

Alternatively you locate the manual for this model for dis-assembly instructions. If you could get the side covers off this may well expose some the plastic gears which may be causing your clicking sounds. No doubt somebody else will have better ideas.

My printer was bought S/H if you scan E-bay they do come up a 620 went the other day I went up to about 35 had been little used 1 project made about 55/60. The newer ones have even smaller carts and are more difficult to refill. There is plenty on that subject on the forum

ajw1100

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Barfl2, I will try your suggestions later. I had a good hunt around the net and came across the Canon MG5350 on Amazon at 74.99, as I paid over 100 for the MP620 over 3 years ago the 5350 seems to be great value. The revue's from PC PRO and Cnet and others gave it 4/5 or 5/5 star ratings so that was good enough for me. I will soon need to do some important printing so cannot afford for the 620 to go and die on me then!

Amazon was the cheapest I could find and even then there was only 4 left and by the time I decided a short time later that was down to 1 left which I bought. Once that has arrived I will take a good look and a new screwdriver to the 620 in the hope I can fix it, I have searched for sometime to find a parts or dis-assembly instruction but the one link I did find no longer works, if you know of one I would be delighted to if you would give me the link. When the new printer is up and running I will take the 620 apart and if I can fix it then my Mrs can use it and we will have a backup printer as well.

Not sure if the cartridges are interchangeable with the 5350 and 620, they look identical but looks can be deceiving.

On a separate note, I see references to a 'resetter tool' what is it, and is there a thread giving the basics of re-filling cartridges, how to do it, what to look for and such like for a complete novice at this?

Many thanks

Alan.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
ajw1100 said:
Thanks for the reply Barfl2, I will try your suggestions later. I had a good hunt around the net and came across the Canon MG5350 on Amazon at 74.99, as I paid over 100 for the MP620 over 3 years ago the 5350 seems to be great value. The revue's from PC PRO and Cnet and others gave it 4/5 or 5/5 star ratings so that was good enough for me. I will soon need to do some important printing so cannot afford for the 620 to go and die on me then!

Amazon was the cheapest I could find and even then there was only 4 left and by the time I decided a short time later that was down to 1 left which I bought. Once that has arrived I will take a good look and a new screwdriver to the 620 in the hope I can fix it, I have searched for sometime to find a parts or dis-assembly instruction but the one link I did find no longer works, if you know of one I would be delighted to if you would give me the link. When the new printer is up and running I will take the 620 apart and if I can fix it then my Mrs can use it and we will have a backup printer as well.

Not sure if the cartridges are interchangeable with the 5350 and 620, they look identical but looks can be deceiving.

On a separate note, I see references to a 'resetter tool' what is it, and is there a thread giving the basics of re-filling cartridges, how to do it, what to look for and such like for a complete novice at this?

Many thanks

Alan.
Alan - Although I don't have a printer with the cli-526 or pgi-525 carts, I've seen several posts on our forum. Here is one of the links that you might find helpful, and you can use the search function to find other references. http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7118

Again, from what I've read on the forum, these carts are refillable and there is a resetter. The difficulty is that they are not clear, so you can't see when you've properly refilled them. Several work-arounds are posted, one of which is to get used carts for a previous generation of printers that fit this printer and are clear but have the wrong chip. you can then transplant the chip to the clear cart for easier filling. Although this may sound daunting, after the first few refills you will find it very simple and quick.

You asked what the resetter is about. Canon has been adding a chip to their carts to prevent refilling. The chip communicates with the printer, and when you empty an ink cartridge the chip then identifies the cart as empty. The printer then refuses to print until you either put in a new cartridge or do a keypress on the printer to disable the ink level monitor. The resetter resets the chip on the cart to identify it to the printer as full again. Of course, you only want to do that when you have refilled it! Continuing after the cart is really empty (but identified to the printer as full) would damage the printhead.

I assume that you are in the UK because you noted the price of the new printer in pounds. Conatact Octoink for advice and all the necessary materials and equipment.

ajw1100

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi fotofreek.
Thank you for your reply, I may forgo the refilling route as replacement carts seem so cheap anyway and I can get some of these paid for as my 'expenses'.

My new printer arrived today so am about to connect it up and see how it prints. Should be perfect.

I have a feeling that the problem with the MP620 is the toothed belt slipping, I will take it apart tomorrow but I do not know if I can the spare parts if that is the cause.

Regards
Alan.