Matching Prints to Monitor

martincregg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Spyder 3 is pretty old by now, but should give you a workable calibration. What you are reporting seems non standard.

I don't think I can help. Bur some random thought that come to mind:

Your original post referred to B&W prints. Are we talking only B&W prints, or your Monitor calibration over a range of colours and images.

Also luminance of 80 is rather low but within parameters. With that setting I am supposing you have very dim ambient lighting.

Most calibration procedures reduce monitor brightness significantly. Usually this seems to counter the human tendency to like displays bright and white. Down to ZERO though seems very strange. Are you making the adjustment to ZERO following on screen prompts, or does the software make thus adjustment automatically.

On my own dell with a brightness scale of 1-100. Factory default is 75 - Calibration brings it down to 27.

As emissive display monitors age they tend to get dimmer, and the tendency is to increase the brightness over time to compensate. My second monitor 6 years old requires a brightness setting of 70 - six years ago it was in the twenties.

One thought - you do have a reasonable quality monitor capable of being calibrated - right? At the very least an IPS panel less that 5 years old. If you are using a budget laptop you are essentially wasting your time trying for an accurate calibration.

Usually the requirement is to set the monitor to factory defaults before starting the calibration. I am assuming you did that.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. This is a very difficult issue to trouble shoot remotely, and colour variables are so hard to describe verbally.

rs

This is helpful...
I have a two Dell U2410
Also colour
I'll try resetting to factory defaults...

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
This is helpful...
I have a two Dell U2410
Also colour
after resetting to factory defaults, you will need to dial back the brightness back for sure. If I recall, my older 2410 used to have the contrast around 80-90 and the brightness dialed way back and I think I kept it in the custom mode. Once, you set it up you pretty much can leave it alone. One thing with the 2410 is to make sure you leave it on a long time before doing adjustments. At least15 minutes as it actually will brighten as it warms up. I've since moved onto a newer Asus PA247 with LED backlights and that stabilizes much faster.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
This is helpful...
I have a two Dell U2410
Also colour

Both of my monitors are DELL and have an OSD menu setting to restore Factory Default. I am sure your monitor will have the same.

Also suggest setting the calibration procedure to fully auto and letting the Spyder software adjust the setting and write the resulting profile to be initiated by the OS on bootup.

No offence, but humans are sometimes ingenious in bypassing all the standard checks and balanced to ensure hardware is operating within parameters.

Keep trying. Despite appearances this is a simple procedure, and you appear to have good enough hardware to ensure success. There is probably some small oversight causing your problem. At least you have enough understanding of the procedure to realise you have a problem. Some run the calibration and assume they have a calibrated display just because it completed the sequence without crashing the OS.

Another thought - As the Spyder 3 is long in the tooth, make sure you have the latest software version.

Strictly my opinion after much grief with both - X-Rite software sucks, but Spyder software sucks even more.

rs